what now?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
So I've had my fair share of run-ins with parasites. I know what to look for in most cases. I understand how things go away on their and whatnot.
But recently, as in now, I have a female guppy (who mind you is quite old), who is having white poop. And growing kinda slim. She is the only guppy in the tank with this problem. And it's not like stringy clear-white poop, it's just normal poop, but white. Could it have something to do with age? Closest I can compare it to is late stage camallanus worms. I had a run in with camallanus worms that wiped out about a quarter of my fishroom, which I treated, and it went away. Camallanus worms can only live in a population for 3 generations before naturally disappearing regardless. I have not introduced them to anything new, and it hasn't been 6 weeks, so this stage of camallanus worms shouldn't be popping up if it is. She was fine until I pulled her in from the summer tub. She eats normally and swims around normally, pretty sure she even dropped fry a few weeks ago. Tank params are fine. What is it this time? Could it have something to do with the rat drowning in my tub?
In the meantime I'm quarantining her.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So I've had my fair share of run-ins with parasites. I know what to look for in most cases. I understand how things go away on their and whatnot.
But recently, as in now, I have a female guppy (who mind you is quite old), who is having white poop. And growing kinda slim. She is the only guppy in the tank with this problem. And it's not like stringy clear-white poop, it's just normal poop, but white. Could it have something to do with age? Closest I can compare it to is late stage camallanus worms. I had a run in with camallanus worms that wiped out about a quarter of my fishroom, which I treated, and it went away. Camallanus worms can only live in a population for 3 generations before naturally disappearing regardless. I have not introduced them to anything new, and it hasn't been 6 weeks, so this stage of camallanus worms shouldn't be popping up if it is. She was fine until I pulled her in from the summer tub. She eats normally and swims around normally, pretty sure she even dropped fry a few weeks ago. Tank params are fine. What is it this time? Could it have something to do with the rat drowning in my tub?
In the meantime I'm quarantining her.
Being outside and the rat could have introduced a parasite. I'd qt and treat or maybe just treat the tank for parasites since she's been with the others for a bit now.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although a dead rat could have polluted the tub, if you've had the guppy any length of time, (2 tears or so) that is about the normal life span of a guppy, and normal deterioration of bodily functions are common at that time.
Most small species like guppies or tetras like neons barely make 2 or 3 years, in nature even less.
For Betta's 3 to 5 is a normal max.
Its only with larger species like cichlids that you can expect 7-10., or slightly more with exemplary care.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I am willing to believe it is just old age since I have had the thing for a little less than 3 years, but I am still quarantining.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
For Betta's 3 to 5 is a normal max.
This has nothing to do with the topic as hand but I remember that I read about a betta that was in a lab living 9 years, I can’t vouch for the credibility but it’s amazing if it’s true.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store