What Piranha do I have?!??

Brian Wojtalewicz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
Hey Everyone, I recently bought a Piraya Piranha from Aquascape online. Cost me $150 for the fish and another $100 in shipping. Ive heard a lot of bad reviews after I paid. They also shipped him when I called to postpone due to weather. Anyway, how do I know I have a Piraya and not a standard red belly? Is there a way to tell for sure? Young pics look pretty similar. Thank you in advance!

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Looks like a Piraya to me, as well.
How in the world did Aquascape justify $100 in shipping? Are you outside the USA?
Aquascape's communication is abysmal. No responses to e-mail and never call back when promised to do so.

Brian Wojtalewicz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
No, I live in Wisconsin. And yes, terrible customer service. I called them the day before shipping to have them hold the fish for a few days due to a snow storm. They agreed. Came home the next morning to a box on my steps covered in snow!!!! They sent it anyway! No signature required I guess! Luckily he survived and is doing well. Ill never do business with them again though.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
I know the snowstorms of the Upper Midwest. I went to college in Minneapolis.
Thank goodness FedEx was able to deliver and not hold him up for a couple days! That would have been awful. Happy he's doing well. Is he eating?

Brian Wojtalewicz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
Yeah, hes eating 3 cocktail shrimp a day or equivalent slice of tilapia. Hes very shy though. Hides in the back corner behind some plants. I keep it dim and quiet. This is my first piranha. So, doing my best. I read they get less shy as they grow. Is that true?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store