What plant is pet safe that be put on the HOB

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
People use pothos. I'm looking into plants that's pet safe especially for cats. Pothos is toxic to cats

Got a damn ADHD Bengal that's in everything including top of fish tanks. Yes I'm a crazy cat lady here. ? I cater most of my house around her antics.

So what houseplants can be grown with roots in the fish tank or the HOB? Any ideas

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Spider plants, African violet, and babies breath come to mind. Some members of our local tampa group also grown basil, dill and mint as well. Not sure if they grow fast enough to reduce ur nitrates.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Spider Plants are a pain in the arse. Once you grow them, they can't come back. They grow like crazy. They are not poisonous to dogs or cats. We wanted to make a tortoise enclosure by the Spider Plants, but we cut them back because they are poisonous to tortoises in short measures. Spider Plants grew back in a few weeks.

After researching more, I see that the plant has chemicals related to Opium, which can cause diareha, vomiting, and an upset stomach. That is a risk. If they eat to much, then they could potentially have that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store