What Qualifies a “Monster Fish”

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Are we talking size or reputation? I'd swim in a lake with piranhas, tiger fish and the toughest cichlids out there, and think nothing of it, but you wouldn't get me anywhere near the place if I knew there were candiru in there!!!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
In my opinion, it’s not the size as much as relative aggression, or at least damage potential. An exodon or dwarf puffer is a murderous psychopathic, so to me that’s a monster, but a koi is harmless and really isn’t a monster as much as a “beast” of a fish.
Pacus aren’t mean to things their size, but can go full piranha in the blink of an eye.
Leporinus aren’t a monster by size, but will mess you up.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
there is such a difference between huge fish like payaras and smaller fish like cichlids that they cant really even be compared

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Cichlids are species dependent. Most mbunas are a holes but not monsters, even a lot of new worlds don’t count. But dovii, butti, p bass…those are monsters.
A lot of the 8-12 inch range cichlids are sort of a mini monster. Just lack the size to really feel as monstrous as their cousins.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
although the largest fish i have had is a fire mouth cichlid
i dont think i will ever be able to get a aquarium large enough for a monster fish

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
although the largest fish i have had is a fire mouth cichlid
i dont think i will ever be able to get a aquarium large enough for a monster fish
One day. You’re still young! My biggest is still my leporinus at 8-9 inches. One day I’ll grow out some pacu…one day.

Reactions: eon aquatics

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Whatever you keep can be considered a monster to something else down the food chain.

I have been on this forum for 15 years. At this point I find it laughable that certain people are held in high esteem here because of the type of fish that they keep, and not by the way that they keep them. Just because you can house multiple large fish does not make someone a good aquarist. I am not knocking MFK, as I am here 5 days a week, but if I want to get in depth information from other fish keepers and aquarists, I take my questions and inquiries to a different forum.

To be 100% honest, I couldn't care less what other people consider to be MONSTER.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store