What should I do to my fishes on my trip

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Hello guys
I have to go it of station for at least 28 days I tried my every effort to convince my mom to leave me home but she won’t budge I have to go for about a month I’m taking my small fishes with me what should I do for my oscars?
I have planned to change water and clean pads last day and make 30 pouches of food to prevent over feeding by my uncle . What else should I do will my fish live this 1 month I have dimmed the lights but they will be on 24/7 I have committed not to go anywhere after this.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hello guys
I have to go it of station for at least 28 days I tried my every effort to convince my mom to leave me home but she won’t budge I have to go for about a month I’m taking my small fishes with me what should I do for my oscars?
I have planned to change water and clean pads last day and make 30 pouches of food to prevent over feeding by my uncle . What else should I do will my fish live this 1 month I have dimmed the lights but they will be on 24/7 I have committed not to go anywhere after this.
I would leave the lights off unless the room is totally dark. As long as they’re not over fed, one month should be fine with out a water change. I’m sure nitrates will get up there but I don’t think one month will do much if any harm

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
I would leave the lights off unless the room is totally dark. As long as they’re not over fed, one month should be fine with out a water change. I’m sure nitrates will get up there but I don’t think one month will do much if any harm
Thank u bro u watered the fire in my heart now I feel much comfortable
I will turn on the room light and switch off the tank light will that be ok?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Thank u bro u watered the fire in my heart now I feel much comfortable
I will turn on the room light and switch off the tank light will that be ok?
Should be fine, if the room gets any natural light, I wouldn’t even turn on the room light. Lights not real important. My only concern would be evaporation but if you have glass lids that shouldn’t be an issue either.

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Should be fine, if the room gets any natural light, I wouldn’t even turn on the room light. Lights not real important. My only concern would be evaporation but if you have glass lids that shouldn’t be an issue either.
No bro the lid is not glass one but evaporation occurs but very very little I change water every week I see evaporation but no major changes to water level

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
No bro the lid is not glass one but evaporation occurs but very very little I change water every week I see evaporation but no major changes to water level
Even if you get evaporation, as long as it doesn’t get below the filter intake or so low the heater is exposed, you’re still fine. I think you’re all good with your uncle feeding the preset amounts

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Hello guys
Oscars? As in multiple oscars? What size are the oscars? What volume of water are they in?

First scenario?
One smallish oscar in a reasonably sized tank, you may be able to stretch to a month without a water change if you do a big one just before you go, and feed LIGHTLY whilst you're away, certainly not everyday. But even this scenario will probably have you coming back to quite high nitrate. Not good.

Second scenario?
Multiple oscars? Especially big ones, and boy you're really really asking a lot, especially feeding every day. Again, you are going to have to cut feedings down considerably. I suspect you'll come back to off the chart nitrate. Not good at all.

Both scenarios imo, are fraught with danger, especially the latter. However, if you could somehow squeeze a water change in somewhere around the two week mark then that would seal the deal for me. I'd be "training" your uncle up. If you trust him with feeding why not trust him with a hosepipe and a drop of dechlorinator?

A water change around the two week mark, coupled with twice or three times a week feeding and you'll be fine imo.

Good luck.

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Oscars? As in multiple oscars? What size are the oscars? What volume of water are they in?

First scenario?
One smallish oscar in a reasonably sized tank, you may be able to stretch to a month without a water change if you do a big one just before you go, and feed LIGHTLY whilst you're away, certainly not everyday. But even this scenario will probably have you coming back to quite high nitrate. Not good.

Second scenario?
Multiple oscars? Especially big ones, and boy you're really really asking a lot, especially feeding every day. Again, you are going to have to cut feedings down considerably. I suspect you'll come back to off the chart nitrate. Not good at all.

Both scenarios imo, are fraught with danger, especially the latter. However, if you could somehow squeeze a water change in somewhere around the two week mark then that would seal the deal for me. I'd be "training" your uncle up. If you trust him with feeding why not trust him with a hosepipe and a drop of dechlorinator?

A water change around the two week mark, coupled with twice or three times a week feeding and you'll be fine imo.

Good luck.
+1 on the feeding 3x a week

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
They are 4 ,6 inch oscars in 100 gallons
I don’t trust my uncle to change water cause I love my oscars more than my life I don’t want to risk any expect of my oscars jumping out coz he is scared or touching fish even with net

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store