What should I plant in my tank

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
So currently I have a 125 gallon tank with a fire eel, 2 severums, a black ghost knife, a pleco and a shovel nose catfish. Just recently I planted an amazon sword and an few Anubias. I tied the Anubias to driftwood and planted the sword. How long do those plants take to reach adult size? They are about 5-6 inches right now and what else can I plant in my tank that is more of a beginner to intermediate plant. I love the natural look of live plants but I just don’t know too much about different species and how to take care of them.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Plants are far more complex than fish imo. But it can also be quite easy if you search out the right plants.

The rate of growth is directly related the amount of macro nutrients, micro nutrients, light, CO2, and subtrate choice.

Do your research then ask questions. I have been selling aquatic plants grown by myself locally for a while now. Everything you can think of.

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
Plants are far more complex than fish imo. But it can also be quite easy if you search out the right plants.

The rate of growth is directly related the amount of macro nutrients, micro nutrients, light, CO2, and subtrate choice.

Do your research then ask questions. I have been selling aquatic plants grown by myself locally for a while now. Everything you can think of.
Is there any good beginner level plants that you would recommend for me and then I can do my research on them.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Get a mix of fast and slow growing type plants.

Asian ambulia, hornwort, Pennywort, floating plants, water sprite, dwarf saggitaria. These are faster growing type plants.

Java fern, java moss, anubias, cryptocoryne wendtii. These are slower growing.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have an Anubias nana that I've been growing for about 3 years or so in a simple 29 and it is 9 inches long. 3 years for 9 inches. I'm sure that if I had went with high lighting, co2, and dosed specific nutrients I could have gotten to that size much faster but I didn't want to bother with anything like that. I'm not sure what the max size of Anubias nana is so it could grow bigger for all I know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store