What size tank for a Malawi aquarium?

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Hi - I have a 225 gallon and a 90 gallon tank, one of them I want to do something else with, but one of them I want to make a malawi tank. I'm still new to africans but I think I want it to be mostly or all peacock cichlids. Which tank would be better?

Thank you.

Reactions: tlindsey

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
With the space from the 225 you could use it to your advantage as it allows you to do a lot more cichlids and gives you more options

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
When you do a variety of fish you want to do all male and no look alike fish. With only peacocks, once you get a blue, a yellow and a red...how many other colors are available that would not look alike?

In a 90G I like 12 adult males that mature at six inches or less and look nothing alike. If you do haps and peacocks, you will capture most of the colors/shapes.

I'd save the 225 for bigger fish or a variety mixed gender groups...how long is the tank? A group of foai!

Reactions: deeda

BigBeardDaHuZi

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2020
The 225 for the Malawi sounds fantastic. An all male peacocks and hap is a sight to behold. I've had no trouble finding 20 fish that looked different enough to not cause aggro problems. You may need to shuffle fish around a little bit. I had a Blue Dolphin that wanted to murder anything blue, but after he was gone, I've had no problems. A 225 also allows you to add some of the bigger, peaceful haps like the Star Sapphire or the Protomelas Spilonotus

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Ok so as a cichlid newbie here, what I’m looking for are peacocks and haps, and try to avoid mbunas? I see thewetspot had a huge variety of what they label as “other Malawi cichlids” and a list of “peacocks”.
Also my local aquarium clubs always have African cichlids for sale at the auctions and swaps. But I have to figure out what I’m looking for. I know some species have females that are just as colorful as males.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Some Mbuna have colorful females. Females of haps and peacocks are drab. This is why you go with an all=male tank. Well some do, I prefer mixed gender groups even with haps and peacocks.

If you want colorful females and mixed gender groups then think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f of each in a 90G. Avoid the most aggressive mbuna like auratus, kenyi, johannii, etc.

What is your one must have Lake Malawi fish? We can suggest other species that would do well together.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
I don't want any drab fish, I already have enough tanks of drab fish. I want a show tank. I also want to not have to worry about aggression issues, because I want to be able to relax when I'm looking at the tank.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
10 yellow labs and 10 acei. They are the most peaceful mbuna and males are as colorful as females. Also you have a better chance of extra males tolerating each other.

PS who says fish with 4-5 stunning males and 20 silver females cannot be a show tank. ?

Reactions: deeda

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Well I really like the "jelly bean" type of thing where you have a ton of different colors in one tank, I think I want to do a bunch of male peacocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store