What tank size for a Pair of black nasty.

Justin2021

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2017
soon I will be getting a 125 and I was hoping to get a pair of black nasty(Nandopsis haitiensis). My question was if a single specimen or a pair could fit in a 125.
Male size- 16 inch
Female size- around 5-9

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I kept my pair for about 5 years in a 150 gal, where they regularly spawned. They need warm temps, in the high 80s to properly digest food. Although a very rough and tumble species, they can be quite sensitive to temp, and poor water quality, so lots of water changes wit warm water help.
I changed about 40% of their water ever other day.
They would not allow any other tanks mates, and at full size (male about 15"), made my 150 gal appear tiny.

Justin2021

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2017
I kept my pair for about 5 years in a 150 gal, where they regularly spawned. They need warm temps, in the high 80s to properly digest food. Although a very rough and tumble species, they can be quite sensitive to temp, and poor water quality, so lots of water changes wit warm water help.
I changed about 40% of their water ever other day.
They would not allow any other tanks mates, and at full size (male about 15"), made my 150 gal appear tiny.

that’s awesome! How long did it take for that male to get 15 inches?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
It only took about 3 years, although he continued to grow throughout from a 3" juvie, female about the same to reach 12" from a 1 " juvie.
If you check out fresh water collection site temps, you will see why the warmth is needed. one article below
Oh, Island in the Sun. The Dominican Republic by Alf Stalsberg ...
I also kept them separated with an egg crate divider until they bonded thru it.
I had started out with 12 individuals, and all died from bloat except the female, because I wasn't aware of the need for warm temp requirements (especially when young). Most of my cichlid tanks are kept in the mid 70s.
I believe (much like lizards such as iguanas) the warmth helps them process protein.
I did not however feed high protein foods.
They are omnivorous, and graze, and consume lots of algae in nature, so I chose a pellet high in spirulina (such as NLS algaemax) after delving into research of their nature habits.

above, their first non-separated encounter

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Justin2021

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2017
It only took about 3 years, although he continued to grow throughout from a 3" juvie, female about the same to reach 12" from a 1 " juvie.
If you check out fresh water collection site temps, you will see why the warmth is needed. one article below
Oh, Island in the Sun. The Dominican Republic by Alf Stalsberg ...
I also kept them separated with an egg crate divider until they bonded thru it.
I had started out with 12 individuals, and all died from bloat except the female, because I wasn't aware of the need for warm temp requirements (especially when young). Most of my cichlid tanks are kept in the mid 70s.
I believe (much like lizards such as iguanas) the warmth helps them process protein.
I did not however feed high protein foods.
They are omnivorous, and graze, and consume lots of algae in nature, so I chose a pellet high in spirulina (such as NLS algaemax) after delving into research of their nature habits.

above, their first non-separated encounter

You had such a nice pair. Do you known any good websites that sell a good quality nastys?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I saw some on the Cichlidsoftheamericas list this morning.
Although I have not received haitiensus from there, all other species I received from them were excellent.
Some examples were
Cribrheros (Astatheros rostratum)

all of course came as juvies, which is how I prefer to receive fish. I usually get 8 to 12 juvies, and allow them to grow out, and select their own partners

others included
Mesoheros lyonsi

Cinselichthys pearsei
and A trimaculatus

Justin2021

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2017
I saw some on the Cichlidsoftheamericas list this morning.
Although I have not received haitiensus from there, all other species I received from them were excellent.
Some examples were
Cribrheros (Astatheros rostratum)

all of course came as juvies, which is how I prefer to receive fish. I usually get 8 to 12 juvies, and allow them to grow out, and select their own partners

others included
Mesoheros lyonsi

Cinselichthys pearsei
and A trimaculatus
Thank you very much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store