What to add to my 75 gallon after algae disaster

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
For all of you that have seen my last journal on my planted 75 gallon It took a turn for the worst. Green blue algae took over and I couldn't stop it even with an algaecide. So I tore up the plants only keeping my java fern.( Picture of the current state of the tank below) I've been wanting to add more fish especially now since it looks too open and empty.

This is my current stock list
11 neon tetras
7 rummy nose tetras
7 otos
9 Peppered cories
4 Bolivian rams
3 zebra angels
2 nerite snails
1 blue phantom pleco

The fish I've been wanting to add are
Geo read head tapojos
Keyhole cichlid
More rummynose tetras

I was thinking
3-5 read head geophagus
1-3 keyhole cichlids
8 more rummynose tetras

Thoughts?

20200108_152812.jpg

20200108_152801.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
For all of you that have seen my last journal on my planted 75 gallon It took a turn for the worst. Green blue algae took over and I couldn't stop it even with an algaecide. So I tore up the plants only keeping my java fern.( Picture of the current state of the tank below) I've been wanting to add more fish especially now since it looks too open and empty.

This is my current stock list
11 neon tetras
7 rummy nose tetras
7 otos
9 Peppered cories
4 Bolivian rams
3 zebra angels
2 nerite snails
1 blue phantom pleco

The fish I've been wanting to add are
Geo read head tapojos
Keyhole cichlid
More rummynose tetras

I was thinking
3-5 read head geophagus
1-3 keyhole cichlids
8 more rummynose tetras

Thoughts?

View attachment 1400919

View attachment 1400920

I personally would add more Rummy Nose tetra and maybe 1 Keyhole Cichlid. The Geophagus Redhead Tapajos would make 75 over stocked.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I personally would add more Rummy Nose tetra and maybe 1 Keyhole Cichlid. The Geophagus Redhead Tapajos would make 75 over stocked.
Yea when they are adults they would be crammed but I can only find them at about 2 inches and they take literally forever to grow.

Reactions: tlindsey

Robinhood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2020
i see a couple of sponge filters what other filtration do you have on the tank?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Rummy nose are tight schooler but dash too fast for my liking. They are also delicate and hard to acclimate as all are wild caught. I prefer slow schooler such as Congo Tetra, Diamond Tetra and Brilliant Rasbora.

Reactions: tlindsey

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Rummy nose are tight schooler but dash too fast for my liking. They are also delicate and hard to acclimate as all are wild caught. I prefer slow schooler such as Congo Tetra, Diamond Tetra and Brilliant Rasbora.
This is a south american themed tank so the diamond tetra is the only tetra that would work.

I dont believe rummynose tetras are hard to acclimate. I've never had issues

Congos dart all the time they arent slow schoolers

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 8 Rummy nose in a 29 gallon they school tight like you stated but they don't dash. They actually are in a room that has no traffic. The aquarium has no lid and it's been around 4 yrs since I've had them. I use leaf litter in the aquarium so maybe the tannins maybe contributing to keeping them. They spawn frequently the eggs probably get eaten by the adult Rummy Nose and Emerald Corydora. Did have 9 Rummy Nose total lost 1 2 yrs ago.

Reactions: SandNukka15
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store