what to do about my new loach

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i was at the fishstore the other day and saw an extremely active yoyo loach that was about 7”and decided to get it the next day(it was the only loach around this size so i didnt get a companion). ive had the loach in my tank with south american cichlids and plecos for about 16 hours and the yoyo loach has been chasing all the other fish around and has left a long scratch along my oscar with its tooth. i like the loach allot but i dont want all my fishs fins to get ruined. my cichlids arent exceeding 5” yet so i feel like the problem could go away in time. until then i wondered what i could do to reduce aggression and specifically if adding another loach would be smart and if i do so should i add a juvenile of the same species or something like an adult clown or skunk loach. let me know what you think i should do ill be adding more caves too

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try and wait it out (week if no major injury). Provide a hideout for the loach. Hope the aggression settles. If not then I’d move the loach.

Reactions: tlindsey

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I’d try and wait it out (week if no major injury). Provide a hideout for the loach. Hope the aggression settles. If not then I’d move the loach.
the loach doesnt seem to be doing anything that bad besides annoying the fish it looks like hes smelling around on them i was worried he was hungry but doesnt seem very interested in food im not sure if hes just being social or considering take a bite out of the fish

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Shoaling instinct is strong, he's a social fish and desperate for a shoal.
yes i figured its pretty cute and sad to see him all alone. the only reason im holding off on buying more is that if they stop growing at 2.5 inches which is likely and the oscar might try to eat one and get it lodged in his mouth but im not sure if thatd actually happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store