What to feed a tire track eel

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
Hi all I semi-recently acquired a tire track eel around Christmas time and he has been doing great and has grown to about 10 inches long and has the diameter of your average screwdriver handle. I've only been feeding him tetra freeze dried krill and the occasional bloodworms. I have recently learned that krill may not be the best for it. Does anyone know any other types of food I could try?

Reactions: tlindsey

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
You could try some hikari sinking carnivore pellets, bloodworms, and or some cut pieces of tilapia but keep in mind that for your tire-track eel too be healthy you should be giving it a varied diet hope this helps.
Edit*you got any pics of it?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all I semi-recently acquired a tire track eel around Christmas time and he has been doing great and has grown to about 10 inches long and has the diameter of your average screwdriver handle. I've only been feeding him tetra freeze dried krill and the occasional bloodworms. I have recently learned that krill may not be the best for it. Does anyone know any other types of food I could try?
Great thread
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/tire-track-eel-feeding-and-care.701907/

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
You could try some hikari sinking carnivore pellets, bloodworms, and or some cut pieces of tilapia but keep in mind that for your tire-track eel too be healthy you should be giving it a varied diet hope this helps.
Edit*you got any pics of it?
Thanks, and I will try to get pics if not tonight I will tomorrow. He is elusive... except when there is food lol

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
tlindsey tlindsey
MatteoTheEnder22 MatteoTheEnder22

Do either of you know if feeding bait worms and red wigglers will be good for it

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
tlindsey tlindsey
MatteoTheEnder22 MatteoTheEnder22

Do either of you know if feeding bait worms and red wigglers will be good for it
If you have access to them, then I dont see the problem with feeding them to it but you may have to cut the worms into smaller bite sized pieces for it.
View attachment 1433567 Also there is a pic of his head that is the best I could get right now
Great looking tire track so what are your future plans with it?

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
If you have access to them, then I dont see the problem with feeding them to it but you may have to cut the worms into smaller bite sized pieces for it.

Great looking tire track so what are your future plans with it?
Right now it is only in a 125 with an some SA cichlids and 2 bichirs so next summer I'll definitely be getting a bigger tank that will hopefully accommodate it for life. If it doesn't then i have no idea what I will do at that point. But so far it has been an amazing experience keeping, and feeding it.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store