What to put between aquarium and stand?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I am wondering what I am supposed to put between a 240 gallon tank and the stand it is on? I've heard that people use Styrofoam but does anyone know of any mats or something that work? Something I can order and have shipped to me?

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
then just fyi you need a complete top on the stand supporting the entire bottom of the tank not a perimeter style stand like glass tanks use. so you'll need enough foam to cover that. hopefully that makes sense.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
then just fyi you need a complete top on the stand supporting the entire bottom of the tank not a perimeter style stand like glass tanks use. so you'll need enough foam to cover that. hopefully that makes sense.
Wait the stand or the mat? So wouldn't I just need a sheet of something that covers the whole bottom? Is that what you're saying?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I believe Birchrking is saying you need a piece of plywood or similar as the top of the stand that will support the entire bottom of your acrylic tank. If that piece of plywood is perfectly flat you should be good to go. A piece of thin Styrofoam or yoga mat (I like the yoga mat idea) on top of the plywood will fill in any imperfections of the plywood under the weight of the tank.

On my new stand I am going to use 3/4" birch plywood (much flatter and higer density than shop grade plywood) and laminate a piece of Formica on the top of it for some extra water protection. I haven't decided if I will put a cushion like a yoga mat down before I put the tank on the stand.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I believe Birchrking is saying you need a piece of plywood or similar as the top of the stand that will support the entire bottom of your acrylic tank. If that piece of plywood is perfectly flat you should be good to go. A piece of thin Styrofoam or yoga mat (I like the yoga mat idea) on top of the plywood will fill in any imperfections of the plywood under the weight of the tank.

On my new stand I am going to use 3/4" birch plywood (much flatter and higer density than shop grade plywood) and laminate a piece of Formica on the top of it for some extra water protection. I haven't decided if I will put a cushion like a yoga mat down before I put the tank on the stand.
So get a big length of plywood and I am good to go? Do I need a yoga mat? It may be hard to find the exact dimensions of 96Lx24W.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store