What to put between aquarium and stand?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
we all can agree on the piece of plywood and proper bracing of the stand below the plywood. my tank has the same foot print as yours. as far as right or wrong with the use of foam well....that's up to you. I've done it both ways. at the end of the day do what gives you the most piece of mind.
Well at first I was thinking plywood and foam would give me the most confidence. But now that some people are saying that foam would bow the tank and possibly break the seams with an acrylic tank I'm thinking just plywood. But what if the plywood isn't completely flat? Then I would need foam? But people are saying that foam is bad. So...

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
From my understanding, foam is not necessary with acrylic tanks. Foam or other types of leveling mats are usually recommended with rimless glass tanks, or with other glass tanks where there is no bottom trim. Quite often these mats are included when you purchase the tank if they are a factor in the warranty.

In your case i would recommend using a piece of furniture grade 3/4" plywood cut to fit under your tank.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If the top of your stand is true, AND IT IS BRACED, and you attach your ply, and sink the screw heads, and your front to back and side to side and diagonal checks with a level show that the top of your stand is now perfect, then it would be fine to just place your acrylic tank on top without styrofoam. And your acrylic tank would not bow, on the bottom anyway.

Even if you did put styrofoam on that would still be ok, AS LONG AS THE TOP OF YOUR STAND IS BRACED. If the stand is braced then the ply can't bow and neither will the bottom of your acrylic tank. If you are worried about the bottom of your tank bowing into the soft styrofoam how far can it realistically go. I think it would hardly be measurable.

As I said, the critical part is the bracing on the top of your stand. No bracing, then the ply can bow over time and the base of your acrylic tank will follow and then your tank seems would be under pressure.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
If the top of your stand is true, AND IT IS BRACED, and you attach your ply, and sink the screw heads, and your front to back and side to side and diagonal checks with a level show that the top of your stand is now perfect, then it would be fine to just place your acrylic tank on top without styrofoam. And your acrylic tank would not bow, on the bottom anyway.

Even if you did put styrofoam on that would still be ok, AS LONG AS THE TOP OF YOUR STAND IS BRACED. If the stand is braced then the ply can't bow and neither will the bottom of your acrylic tank. If you are worried about the bottom of your tank bowing into the soft styrofoam how far can it realistically go. I think it would hardly be measurable.

As I said, the critical part is the bracing on the top of your stand. No bracing, then the ply can bow over time and the base of your acrylic tank will follow and then your tank seems would be under pressure.
I will have to screw it into the cabinet?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I will have to screw it into the cabinet?
If I build a stand and painstakingly sink all the screws and use filler to hide the screw heads and then sand it down and paint it to make it look nice, i'm hardly just going to throw a sheet of ply on top and just leave it loose. No, personally I like to affix the ply with screws as mentioned. Obviously it's critical here that the heads are sunk.

But that's just me. If you want to leave your ply loose that's your choice and no big deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store