What type of arowana is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anhcali2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2019
Hi there, i wondering what type of arowana is this? I saw this on the vietnamese restaurant , i think it asian arowana but if that true how come they can have 1 with out any trouble?
Anyone can you please clear my mine.

Edited on user request.

Reactions: Matteus

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Looks like red Asian arowana idk what everyone’s calling it now, red supreme....chili red etc. and to my knowledge they fight with each other and are meant to be without another Asian arowana or with a big group.

Anhcali2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2019
It is yellow in the fin and some spot on the body not the red color. But are they legally to own?

Reactions: Matteus

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yes it is indeed an Asian Arowana, though I'm not sure if it's a Red (hybrid?) or I think more likely an RTG (Red-tail Gold). G Galantspeedz would know better.

And to answer your other question yes it most assuredly is very illegal to keep such a fish in the US (without proper permits, which are generally are only issued to research institutions or zoos) -- they could be fined a lot of money and face jail time too.

As to why they haven't been busted yet I guess just blind luck and authorities didn't know (but that could change soon as certain gov't offices are known to peruse MFK).

Of course many will (justifiably imo) argue that the US laws are very outdated (taking into account the tremendous success of commercial Arowana farming), but that's neither here nor there when it comes to current status of related laws and enforcement thereof, pretty risky to say the least, let alone in a public setting.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yeah that's definitely an asian arowana, and if they get caught they will be in a lot of trouble, you can be fined up to $10,000 per fish and they could get shut down, though not many people (cops included) will know it's an asian arowana so unless it is reported or a game warden/cop comes in to eat lunch, they will likely get away with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: islandguy11

Anhcali2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2019
Oh ok. I know they have this fish here 2-3 years for their public view already, i was thinking in some different view they legally ok to have this fish here, if that the case i/we can have 1 too i dont see why not, unless we missing something here.
Do you guys think maybe this fish is not original blood of asian arowana that why they can legitimately display like that?
Btw, thank you all for the input. I just dont wanna missing opportunity to own 1 like this restaurant too, of course with out breaking the law.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Oh ok. I know they have this fish here 2-3 years for their public view already, i was thinking in some different view they legally ok to have this fish here, if that the case i/we can have 1 too i dont see why not, unless we missing something here.
Do you guys think maybe this fish is not original blood of asian arowana that why they can legitimately display like that?
Btw, thank you all for the input. I just dont wanna missing opportunity to own 1 like this restaurant too, of course with out breaking the law.
No, that's an asian arowana, if you want to own 1 either become a researcher, own a zoo, or move out of the USA

Reactions: islandguy11
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store