What type of plants

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
I have a 125 gallon with a fire eel and some silver dollars and severums and I wanted to do some some live plants. I know nothing about them so what are some easy plants to take care of and will fit in my tank good and how to take care of them.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well if you want a plant that is next to impossible to kill then look into duckweed. Anubias nana is my go to plant though, it’s easy to grow, isn’t picky about lighting or co2, and it’s rather hard to kill I find.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Jungle val, anubias and ferns are the easiest to keep. No fertilizer needed and minimal light will work.

The only issue is silver dollars will eat all the plants.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You are right, I completely forgot to take into account the silver dollars when making suggestions.

Let me ask you something Bret11 Bret11 , do you want the plants because they look nice or that they’ll help the tank? I have a potential solution either way.

If you want them for tank benefits then you could get some ground plants such as Anubias and use egg crate to make a sort of cage for them. It allows water and nutrients to get through while preventing the fish from getting in. For duckweed I know of a floating breeder box that lets water flow through it and won’t let the silver dollars get to it.

If you just care about the tank looking good then may I interest you in some non aquatic plants? I have a 75 gallon that I’m using only non aquatic plants and just having their roots hanging in the water because of my silver dollars. I’m using the breeder box I mentioned earlier as to not let the silver dollars eat the roots.
I shall post a link soon.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Here it is, this is my journal of my 75 which includes the breeder box.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Sliver dollar and severum are herbivore, and will eat most plants. I think Java fern is fine because it is distasteful to most fish. Anubius may have problem with young leaves. Val has no chance. My 125 has two types of Java fern with Severum, which leave them alone except when they make nest. They don’t eat the fern, but bite off some leaves and spit them out.

844DD4D0-ACF6-4FD3-AB6B-38801E061D5E.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store