What was your first tank?

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hello I just thought I would start a thread where members can share their first tanks! I will share mine first it was not pretty!
it was a 75g The stocking was
2 baby oscars
6 goldfish about 3-5"
1 spotted pictus
1 12" common pleco
This story did have a happy ending the goldfish where rehomed and the pleco and two oscars got upgraded to a 125g
20200102_092302.jpg

Reactions: Joshuakahan

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you ignore all the 1 gallons with bettas then it was a 5 gallon with a dwarf gourami, 1 or 3 albino pristella tetras, 3 longfin sepae tetras, 3 black phantom tetras.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My first was a 5.5-gallon...not 55, but 5.5...which, like everything else in the first years of my hobby, came from K-Mart when I was about 10, back in 1967. Illuminated with an old incandescent desk lamp, which also provided heat. It was the old steel-framed style of aquarium, with each individual pane of glass held in place with a hard, black tar-like substance; no stinkin' silicone for us! Gravel was a god-awful rainbow mix, a few pieces of quartz, a couple plastic ornaments. Filtration was an internal corner box filter, packed with charcoal and real honest-to-goodness fibreglass...no fancy-schmancy filter floss back then.

Fish included a couple swordtails, a Corydoras, a Blue Gourami and a few others who came and went...mostly went. The only really successful plant was a handful of Bladderwort that I found in a local marsh and threw in; it grew and flourished as a floater. Rooted plants tended not to live very well, possibly because of the 100% water changes done at least weekly, usually more often. These included removing all the gravel and rinsing it clean in a bucket...yes, every single time. My dad, under whose watchful eye I maintained the tank for the first few years, had little tolerance for algae, and none for bacteria. Biological filtration, you ask? Hah! It is to laugh...we knew very well that the only good bacteria were dead bacteria...:)

Looking back with fond memory, it's a bit astonishing that I grew so interested in the hobby, with all the work involved. I think I just enjoyed netting the fish every single time and housing them in a bucket while the tank was purged. When the job was done, they were netted again and plopped back into the tank. We didn't have water conditioner, but we sure had chlorine. Back in those pre-chloramine days, this was dealt with simply by filling a bucket with fresh tap water and leaving it to stand a couple days until the next change.

My dad always said that I would "outgrow" my interest in keeping fish. He kept saying it for the next 12 or so years, before admitting defeat. It was the same with hunting, shooting, archery, motorcycles...he eventually accepted the fact that I would never grow up. Both our lives grew easier with that acceptance. )

I'm impressed with the young folks who begin today with 50- and 75-gallon tanks; those were the stuff of dreams when I started out. :)

Reactions: Hendre

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hello I just thought I would start a thread where members can share their first tanks! I will share mine first it was not pretty!
it was a 75g The stocking was
2 baby oscars
6 goldfish about 3-5"
1 spotted pictus
1 12" common pleco
This story did have a happy ending the goldfish where rehomed and the pleco and two oscars got upgraded to a 125g
View attachment 1433101
My first tank was terrible. It was in 1986 and my LFS just wanted to sell fish fish to a kid that didn’t know anything, but it still started my love for this awesome hobby..
20g
1 Oscar
1 clown knife
1 pacu
2 dempsys
2 convicts
1 common pleco
1 blue gourami
Then when the tank became obviously way too full, that lsf recommended I upgrade to 60 and then sold me a green terror and an African brown knife as well.
what’s even crazier is that the convicts actually spawned and I had fry in that 20 and the lsf bought the fry for $1 each in store credit.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
wow everyone thanks for sharing! makes me fell better about my tanks lol jjohnwm jjohnwm I think it is kinda easier for begginers to start with larger tanks 30g+
it is easier to maintain good parameters and its kinda funny that 75g is my first "tank" but I actually started with a indoor kiddypool with my pleco a pictus cat goldfish and in winter my old koi used to come in it to oh and it had no lids and I had cats lol bad combo

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
also Joshuakahan Joshuakahan thats crazy 1$ per fry im getting half that for my JD fry lol
Convicts were not as overly common then as they are now and they were pink convicts which probably helped

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store