What would you do? (Clown Loaches)

sr20det510

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
Los Angeles
I picked up a few clown loaches the other day (3 -3" each), and enjoyed them the minute they went into my tank. They didn't stop swimming and would do all sorts of interesting things to the the other fish in the tank.

Here is the problem, I came home a few days ago and did not see any in my tank, I was devastated : (
The next morning I opened up the blinds to let light into the room and a minute or two later I notice the clowns were back : )
When I returned from work they were once again gone : (

I finally figured out ( after a few days) where the loaches were hiding, in a cave in one of my pieces of driftwood : )

Question of the day, should I plug the cave when they are out so I can enjoy them more during the day?

I also have a fear that they are going to grow a bit more, force themselves into the cave and never come out!

I picked up a moon light today to see if the loaches are active in the evening!

What should I do?
Thanks,
Carlos

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Don't plug the cave! Loaches love to hide in caves. My suggestion is to get atl least another trio. Loaches feel more secure in a shoal when they are younger, and will more readily patrol the tank.

sr20det510

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
Los Angeles
Thanks for the advice ewurm I hope it works!

I picked up three more clown loaches tonight so I hope everything works out!

By the way, Moon Lights (LED lights) are pretty awesome!! I can't believe all the cool things my fish do in the dark! My leaf fish, which usually just sits there like a leaf : ) swims all over the place in the evening, who would have thought?

Thanks!

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
Thats awesome bro......................well i made up my mind this weekend i will be getting my self a tro for my 125gal...............:D

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
Post a pic of the tank with the moonlight! It sounds cool.

But yeah, having more loaches seems to make them a little more comfortable. Definately don't plug up the hole though. I have a piece of driftwood with a hollow opening in my tank too that they love to cram up in to. Also, try giving them a few more days to chill out and settle in. They will get less shy as time goes on.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
id give them more hiding places if anything. the more secure they feel, and easier it is to hide when they feel threatened, the more theyll be out and about. i too wouldnt mind some pics.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Also keep in mind that clowns love to sleep on their sides. It looks like they are dead, but they aren't.

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Clowns feel safest when they are squeezed into the tightest spot they can get into.
I find my little ones in the most bizarre places sometimes - like squeezed in between my internal filter and the bracket that sticks it to the tank! Just 3 liitle red tails sticking out of a plastic bracket. They're all absolutely fine in the morning - it's just what they like to do. Give them time and lots of hiding places and they'll be fine.
They DO like friends though, so more Clowns = happy clowns.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store