What would you stock in a 450 ?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I'm really thinking about taking apart my 48 inch tank that I can't find a top brace for and making a 8 ft tank and making me an office in my basement. The tank would be about 450 gallons 8'x 4' wide and about 2 feet high. One corner would be slightly curved or even at an angle due to basement wall. What would be good to stock in it? I don't like arroowana, and I kinda want peaceful fish as I don't want to deal with too much aggression I was thinking a big colony of frontosa but they grow slow

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
So I'm really thinking about taking apart my 48 inch tank that I can't find a top brace for and making a 8 ft tank and making me an office in my basement. The tank would be about 450 gallons 8'x 4' wide and about 2 feet high. One corner would be slightly curved or even at an angle due to basement wall. What would be good to stock in it? I don't like arroowana, and I kinda want peaceful fish as I don't want to deal with too much aggression I was thinking a big colony of frontosa but they grow slow
If you are looking for large fish I would have to say rays or pbass, if not then I would go with a large group of altifrons as they look amazing under the right light.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm guessing you've tried contacting a few of the tank manufacturing companies about possibly ordering a new top frame with brace for your tank.....Most of the fish that I currently have would do nicely in that 450;dats,peacock bass,red hooks,afer knife fish and marbled lancer catfish.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea I've look online and cannot find the dimension top that I have, 48 inches long 23 5/8 wide, anyway I want larger not so aggressive fish. Do I understand correctly that pbass although big and hungry are generally calm? Could I do like 3-5? I'm looking for a fairly active tank, and the wife did say I can build so that's a plus lol. Just have to finish a couple other projects first

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cichla are greedy eaters and grow to large sizes but they are not the most aggressive of the cichlids.In my experience with them they have always ignored any fish that they could not get into their mouths.I think you could do a group of three to five.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Larger growing bichirs, aro, and maybe some charchan types

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store