What's a flowerhorn?

Magnus30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
Michigan
Sorry people but I've never seen a flowerhorn or heard of one until I've been on this site. I'm not new to this, been keeping for about 9 years, maybe I never paid attention. Could someone show me a pic! :)

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
i got no pic but a fh is a cichlid

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
A flowerhorn is an intentionally bred hybrid. Originally thought to be a cross between a Trimac and possibly a Midas/RD, but definitely very strong Trimac genes...today they're so selectively bred that they're on the verge of being a species in themselves. They're extremely popular in the orient, where a lot of the higher-quality FH's come from (I personally had two shipped over from Thailand). You can find low-grade flowerhorns in shops sometimes, but high quality fish are very expensive. Adult fish, especially males, often sell at prices from $300-$1000.

scottv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Minnesota
Even though they are hybrid and many people dislike the idea of keeping them, especially true hardcore cichlid enthusiasts....I REALLY LIKE FLOWERHORN!!

It sucks that in Malaysia and other places they have escaped into the wild and have established themselves! Can you imagine the native fishes having to compete with FLOWERHORN?!?!? Now that's a problem! :eek:

SiestaSkyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Brooklyn, MI
same down here in the everglades. we have jaguar, oscar, plecos and more. they are all established spieces. everyone fishes for them. I hear that jaguar is actully good eating. i would think so with all that muscle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store