whats the best way to clean pvc plumbing and fittings

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Hello fellow fish heads. I just took down one of my tanks to add another tank to the system with it. It all will be down for a few weeks while i am building a double stand and plumbing it all and so forth. My quistion here is what is the best way to clean the inside of the pvc tubing, fittings, check valves, inline heaters and so forth all drain pipes and fitting 1 1/2 inch returns and inline heaters, check valve are 1/2 inch. i was thinking about soaking it all in vinegar and water but some pieces are pretty big and surely cant do that with inline heater. thanks for the input. all was just taking down tonight.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Keep the tank full of water with pump(s) running and add a little bleach which will destroy biofilm and get your glass/pipes squeaky clean . The water is the carrier.

Only needs a couple hours but can be left a few days to degrade or dechloinator to remove.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
If scale is a problem from hard water then muratic acid is the ultimate. I use it on everything; plumbing, heaters, pump impellers, etc.
You need to be careful though; rubber gloves, safety glasses, etc. I've also found differences in where I buy it. Some brands can burn the heck outta your nose and others are not as bad. I've settled on the brand that Home Depot carries. It's easier on the nose but still strong enough to work well.

Oh, and I made the mistake of letting my wife find out how well it works on toilets. I NOW have a new job responsibility.

1617801712905.png

1617801727793.png

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Keep the tank full of water with pump(s) running and add a little bleach which will destroy biofilm and get your glass/pipes squeaky clean . The water is the carrier.

Only needs a couple hours but can be left a few days to degrade or dechloinator to remove.

thanks would have been a great idea tank is empty and ripped down now thow. Good food for thought for next time

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
If scale is a problem from hard water then muratic acid is the ultimate. I use it on everything; plumbing, heaters, pump impellers, etc.
You need to be careful though; rubber gloves, safety glasses, etc. I've also found differences in where I buy it. Some brands can burn the heck outta your nose and others are not as bad. I've settled on the brand that Home Depot carries. It's easier on the nose but still strong enough to work well.

Oh, and I made the mistake of letting my wife find out how well it works on toilets. I NOW have a new job responsibility.

View attachment 1456934

View attachment 1456935

thats one nasty a-- pipe for sure. thanks for the reply how do you go about using the stuff. soak pipe in it? run it throw it? ratio? thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store