What's the deal with clown loaches?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It's funny, but as much as I admire their appearance...and I have often toyed with the idea of a large tank stocked with CL's and Tiger Barbs...I have kept aquarium fish for over a half-century and have somehow managed to never own some of the most iconic and popular species, and the Clown Loach is right near the top of that "regret list" of fish I should have gotten but never did. IMHO, they're very nice...but they aren't magical or irresistible.

But just about all the "classic" aquarium fish are very well-studied and have their biology pretty much understood and accounted for. Goldfish, Koi, Bettas, Oscars and all the other mainstays of the hobby are not always kept properly by aquarists, but at least their requirements are pretty well documented; it's kind of sad how often these requirements are ignored...most commonly their space requirements...but the fish don't really have too many secrets.

So how is it that Clown Loaches are still so dang mysterious? When I was a kid I remember reading the stir that was caused in the aquarium hobby when somebody managed to start breeding Neon Tetras! They were considered a tough nut to crack...fast forward a couple or a few decades, and they're just another small aquarium fish that is regularly bred commercially.

But Clown Loaches...despite being so popular for so many decades...are still being wild-caught, with no commercial breeding going on? And people are still asking and debating and discussing how long they live, how large they grow, their pH requirements, ideal temperatures, etc. as if they were discovered yesterday and we are just starting to figure them out. How can this be?

I recall reading an article in the old Tetra aquarium magazine, a very Euro-style publication that I followed in the 70's, that detailed the exciting news of a Clown Loaches breeding in an aquarium. Like many first-time successes with new species, it was more or less accidental; the aquarist had a decent-sized tank housing a small group of Clowns and they eventually did what comes naturally. I don't think the owner even knew that there was breeding going on until he saw small fish, well past the fry stage.

Fast forward fifty years, and if that were to happen today it would be just as big a sensation as it was then. What other fish species has managed to keep its basic requirements so well-hidden for so long, to the point where we still need to catch them from the wild?

What is it with these fish? Or, as the OP put it: What's the deal with them? :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
According to a paper written by Kafi Hidonis, there is in fact a large genetic difference between the population group of Sumatra and Kalimantan Chromobotia macracanthus. With Clown loaches now being domestically bred by commercial fish farms, comes the risk of geographical gene pools being crossed in captivity. With the overall coloration and patterns being so subtle between these two geographical variants of Clown loaches, I'm afraid that the possibility of an entirely new strain of loaches with mixed genes is very possible.

Also please keep in mind that overall coloration can be influenced by numerous factors, including diet, water quality, stress levels, lighting, as well as the age of the fish.

Further Reading:

GENETIC DIFFERENTIATION AMONG POPULATIONS OF CHROMOBOTIA MACRACANTHUS BLEEKER FROM SUMATRA AND KALIMANTAN BASED ON SEQUENCING GENE OF CYTOCHROME B AND RAG2

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
What is it with these fish?
Well, for someone who's recently retired, and loves nothing better than to get stuck into a new project, i'd say you should set up a tank and submerge yourself in the wonderful world of clown loach keeping!

I'd highly recommend a large group in a species only tank to get the best out of them.

As far as entertainment in the fish world goes, clown loach are right up there. A truly wonderful, fascinating fish.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I think theres a lot of elements that have to come together to keep the clown loach in an "ideal" aquarium environment. I feel like lots of water movement is key with these species, seems to make them more active and boisterous. Areas with turbulent flow as well as hidden refuges seem to be greatly appreciated.

As others have said the larger the group the better. Bigger the tank the better is obvious and always.

I would also be so bold as to say most loach keepers overfeed. But i understand why, theyre so darn cute and excellent at begging and always seem to be hungry.

I see a lot of old loaches that look "puffy", obese and seem to have lost a lot of their vibrancy over years and then ill see old loaches that are sleek yet muscular and rocking bold, beautiful coloration. I tend to bother keepers of the latter type with a lot of questions. I think a lot of the details--tank size, flow, group size, water quality, tankmates, diet--all compound quite a bit more over time since they are such a long lived fish.

Then there are a lot of things i and most other keepers probably dont fully understand about their needs. Ive read many places that CL will travel in and out of tidal waters during certain times of the year. Whether this is all or just some populations or once they reach maturity maybe i dont know and ive never heard a good explanation as to why exactly they do this. Im suspicious it has something to do with their breeding habits. Seasonal fluctuations in temperature could also play a role in a lot of their behaviors.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
...and I have often toyed with the idea of a large tank stocked with CL's and Tiger Barbs...
Apart from being a similar colour, tiger barbs and CL have nothing to do with each other (IMO). No wonder you have never kept CL, you don't really understand the appeal.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Apart from being a similar colour, tiger barbs and CL have nothing to do with each other (IMO). No wonder you have never kept CL, you don't really understand the appeal.
Pretty much what I said, i.e. they're nice enough fish but nothing about them particularly grabs me. I buy fish if they appeal to me; I don't get them just to find out why they appeal to somebody else. :)

I realize that CL's and Tiger Barbs are completely unrelated, but I do recall seeing an aquarium many years ago in which the main stars were a decent school (25-ish) of fully-grown Tiger Barbs and a somewhat smaller numbers (maybe 12?) of Clown Loaches ranging from maybe 4 to 7 inches. The Clowns were often seen shoaling with the Barbs and it made for an interesting display. This wasn't seen just when feeding; it was a regular thing, easily visible whenever I saw that tank. Maybe the CL's simply needed a larger number of their own species, and utilized the barbs as a poor substitute? This was in a 360 gallon tank and I admit it looked pretty cool.

The friend who owned that tank doted on those CL's; when he eventually moved away and liquidated most of his fish during the move, he was completely amazed that I had no interest in taking them off his hands. To each his own! :)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Both fish
Both cyprinids
Both come from borneo and sumatra
Both have bold black/gold stripe coloration
Both are shoaling, social species

Idk man if you ask me they're actually pretty similar fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store