What's the dumbest advice you've ever been told about fish care?

ilovefish2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2019
When I asked about a 54 Liter tank, one guy in the LFS told me a group of 5 or 6 angelfish with a bristelnose pleco pair and some tiger barbs would be a perfect stock for this tank. Got fired the next day...

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
When I asked about a 54 Liter tank, one guy in the LFS told me a group of 5 or 6 angelfish with a bristelnose pleco pair and some tiger barbs would be a perfect stock for this tank. Got fired the next day...
Yikes...Night at the fights. Injuries. Seems like the Tigers would harrass the angels and pick at them. Long tailed cherry barbs are less aggressive but still playful, fun and eye-catching or mellow long tailed Albino Cherry Barbs either a better pairing with angels.

The bit about Seahorses in freshwater tank was the worst advice, (I knew better) Otherwise the advice was always good, also I did hard core research. Sometimes the knowledge (advice) were, as is in this club, at odds with each other...opposing, on the same point--same species.

Like others have said here. As each fishkeeper's care and the care their ward differs as long as their fish appears comfortable and happy. And yes you can tell when some species are content...even happy. Provide them with a comfortable, interesting home.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
"under gravel filters are the best"
Interesting how the experts advice has changed over the years on undergravel filters. Like my Mom once said.
"We did the best we could for the times we were going through and the knowledge we had." (On raising offspring, but applicable here)

Reactions: twentyleagues

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Pacu get to be pretty big, you will need a 55 gallon tank.

• Haha
Reactions: beau1990

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Shoot, Finwin can handle that if she wants. She's got a 250 and has friends and family with muscle and her own strength, if she wants to expand. At the moment , at where she is at and the amount of work she is doing professionally and putting into her fish, I think a Larger Community/ City/Public aquarium would be proud of her. Plus she is a very dedicated member of our Monster Fish Keepers community!!!

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
"Max size of a pacu is 12'' and they can be kept in a 75gallon for life", by petco, petsmart and walmart. Funnily enough, there is a public aquarium in my metroplex with some of the biggest pacu in the world. The biggest one is about 4ft long.
"ID shark only grow to 8'' and will be fine in a 55 gallon for live", many time by petsmart and petco employees. And I've had 3 of them in a 600 gallon tank before and they grew from 4-5'' to 2 ft in over 2 years.
the "silver arowana can be kept for live in a 100 gallon" was from that biggest misinformation show that just finally got cancel, Tanked.

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
Found this on meetthepet.com
Scientific NamePhractocephalus hemioliopterus
Common NameRedtailed catfish, red-tailed catfish, redtail cat, RTC, cajaro, pirarara
Tank size220 gallons and more
TemperamentAggressive, predatory
DietOmnivorous bottom feeder
Temperature72°F- 78°F (22 to 26 °С)
pH6.0-7.5
Sizeup to 6 in (15 cm)
Lifespanup to 15 years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store