Whats the largetst fish I can hold in my pond?

The Veteran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
Mesa, Az USA
OK, First off, Hi! Im new to the boards here. I live in Mesa, Az. Right now, Im in the middle of building the pond of my dreams. The thing is....I dont know what to put in it. Im a guy that doesnt take the beatin path. I go my own way, thats why I have kinda written off getting koi. I was looking at getting a rtc (i love them!!) but I think my pond will get too cold in the winter here. so here is the info on the pond (ill post pics later).... so its roughly 12' by 14' and the average depth will be around 4 feet with a max of 5 ft. so ill be around 5500 gallons or so....our temps throughout the year are 105 (highest in july) to 41 (lowest in jan)...what can go in? I like Paroons also, but I have been a lurker on the boards for a bit and know you guys will point me in the right direction! Thanks!!

The Veteran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
Mesa, Az USA
I can get 1, lol.....as far as legal, idk

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
How long do those Jan. Temps in the 40's last? Only at night I assume?

Why not get a cover for it to be used at night (temp. winter greenhouse maybe) or a few days of a cold spell. Ha, cold spell of 40's, that a heat wave here....

Stock list is up to you and if you want to heat it. Could probably do a cheap solar unit to keep temps. up and cost down during those chilly, I mean, balmy winter nights.

Natives are always an idea, but they often become hard to view in a pond.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
research so arrowana they might work,i would see about getting some heat for those 40 degree nights also.

The Veteran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
Mesa, Az USA
Yea, the one thing I was trying to stay away from what having to heat it. I was thinking about a pool cover that they use to heat pools, ya know?

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
The Veteran;3787339; said:
Yea, the one thing I was trying to stay away from what having to heat it. I was thinking about a pool cover that they use to heat pools, ya know?
That's probably going to limit you to coldwater fish, like koi for example

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Pacu

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Muske;3786796; said:
How long do those Jan. Temps in the 40's last? Only at night I assume?

Why not get a cover for it to be used at night (temp. winter greenhouse maybe) or a few days of a cold spell. Ha, cold spell of 40's, that a heat wave here....

Stock list is up to you and if you want to heat it. Could probably do a cheap solar unit to keep temps. up and cost down during those chilly, I mean, balmy winter nights.

Natives are always an idea, but they often become hard to view in a pond.
Im in a t-shrt and shorts when its 40!

The Veteran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
Mesa, Az USA
Nabbig2;3788310; said:
That's probably going to limit you to coldwater fish, like koi for example

Kinda trying to stay away from Koi...like I said in my post...:D

Yea, leaning towards Pacu, or Paroon....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store