What's the secret to big Armatus?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
View attachment 1394748
This is a 30" fish that was killed by a 40" GATF

Look up tumviri on Instagram - he has a pond that's something like 20,000+ gallons and he's got some 30"+, if not 36".
Look on the MFK youtube channel, there are a few videos of tanks with 30"+ fish.
Vincentwugwg had the biggest I know of in the US - it grew to probably 30" in his tank, was transferred to Stingray Biology, and died - I want to say that fish was around 36" when it died.
River Safari in Singapore, if they have any, should have some big ones. I can't find any pics though, so I'm guessing they don't have any.

post #13

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Man that’s huge, do you know of any other GATF keepers on social media with large goliaths?
Tumviri has at least one big one. There's the one that killed the armatus, he's on one of the Facebook groups I think.
There is an old picture on here of one that had to be 48" in a 10x4 tank at a shop in Japan. From what I heard, they don't let anyone take pictures in the story anymore, since people were passing that goliath off as their own. I don't know if it's still alive or not.

Those are the few I know of in private hands. River Safari definitely has them but I haven't seen how big theirs are. I'd imagine if they're not big yet, they certainly will be in their tank.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for this, though I didn't see any payara in there.
My post was referencing bigger payara in captivity - I'm kind of surprised River Safari doesn't have them, tbh.
I try to see if they have the next time I go there.

I don't rem seeing it either though...maybe too ugly lol

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Been a couple years since I’ve been on MFK. Just read up and I believe chicxlub was referring to me about keeping a GATF that grew to basically almost 2 feet in a 2 feet wide tank. I also kept an armatus that was around the same size in an slightly larger tank that was around 3feet wide. They were both very stable and unfortunately died due to some bad luck. I have to stress this word: luck.... fish are live animals and you can’t control everything like you can play god. I’ve kept many many ATF and armatus that never got past the 13-15” mark... at the end of the day we can only do so much for the formula. It’s been a couple years since I’ve kept fish as I’ve lost pretty much all my larger prized ones and decided to give away the ones I had left. One day I will get back into it but it is quite literally a big commitment as you all know so well. Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store