What's wrong with silica?

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I have been trying to figure out what kind of substrate to put in my new 220. I want to get some Red Flint fine gravel, but can't find it in my area. I've been reading a lot of old posts about pool filter sand, play sand, and other types that contain silica. Most post say that silica is bad, but don't say why. A lot of others say they have been using pool filter sand with no issues. A lot of conflicting info.

Has this issue been put to rest? Will I be alright using pool filter sand with my new ray?
There are not a lot of options at my LFS.

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
I use play sand for all my tanks with mo issues, make sure it says non staining though

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
PFS will be better with rays, playsand will get kicked all over by rays

Reactions: tlindsey

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
When I changed my pool filter sand it had "care wear gloves on it".

I don't think nature uses pool filter sand.

Why use it if there is a risk, not worth going for cheap

Torpedo river sand is good.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The only difference between pool Filter sand and sand you find on the beach is that pool filter sand is refined and the original rock or sand is grounded to create the optimal sized grains. As a result of this refinery process the edges are sharp due to the concoidal fracturing of quartz grains. This does not occur in the sand you find on a beach because it has been transported and weathered away by water, tides, and wind for millions of years which makes the overall texture more rounded which in theory is less dangerous to the rays. Sand in the amazon or nature, will in fact be rounded as most of it is transported from the Sahara desert through winds which feeds the amazon or from the Andes mountain change where the sediments have to travel thousands of miles to reach the river systems thus being rounded. All this aside I use play sand and filter sand as well

IMG_4232.JPG

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
That's some good info!

I decided to go with pool filter sand because it was the only thing readily available in my area and from what I've read a lot of people use it successfully.

It does look rather coarse however.

If they ray does not in fact like it, what are some signs to look for that might mean I need to pull the sand?

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
That's some good info!

I decided to go with pool filter sand because it was the only thing readily available in my area and from what I've read a lot of people use it successfully.

It does look rather coarse however.

If they ray does not in fact like it, what are some signs to look for that might mean I need to pull the sand?

I also use pool filter sand in all my ray tanks with no problem
Play sand in our Country is so fine that the rays moving on it, lift a cloud of sand all the time
We did one tank and had to take it all out

Wash your pool filter sand several times rubbing your hand together but use gloves

If the sand is hurting your rays you will start seeing the underside of their disc going red and irritated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store