When Spiny Eels Jump

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
In my experience with Spiny Eels (2 Peacock Eels and a Zig Zag Eel), I've noticed that they only really jump when they have something they would have trouble swallowing normally, like say a larger earthworm. So what they do is jump and whip their head down to try and break the food (whatever it is) in half so it is more manageable. Can anyone else relate to this? Let me know if you do.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have had a few that’s jump w/o being related to food. Noticed it more when didn’t have a place to hide in my situations.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Ive got a 70cm fire eel in an half open tank due to a showerfilter on top of the tank with plenty of hidingspots and havnt seen any indications at all of jumping. He is currently best friend with my tapajos red male and sharing cave with him.

Reactions: moe214

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have had a few that’s jump w/o being related to food. Noticed it more when didn’t have a place to hide in my situations.
Also if they have slightly aggressive tankmates they tend to want to get away from can cause them to jump too...

Reactions: kno4te

easternkingbird

Feeder Fish
Sep 30, 2018
My zebra eel once did that when an earthworm was too big for him once.

my peacock (rip dude) zoomed really fast when he got spooked (which i think killed him - hitting the glass at night)

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I've had some live for years and some jump out of the tank for no apparent reason, they seem good at finding the tiniest gaps in the lid too. I once had one that I didn't know was still alive as I hadn't seen him for so long survive a tank overhaul and being scooped up in the gravel and somehow living in a bucket of damp gravel for a week. I only discovered him when I started washing the gravel a week later and threw him back into the tank where he lived happily for a long time.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
My eel jumped out on the first night I got him but hasn’t jumped since. I haven’t seen him jump for food related things, even with big pieces of shrimp or worm he just goes into his cave.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I used to have an 70cm fire eel in an open top tank without any jumps at all. He came up to the surface and grabbed his food but always stayed at the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store