good that you are getting a new one
enjoy photography

Cohazard

Arapaima
Original poster
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks guys!

I do have a first question, where do I start when trying to find the correct settings for ISO,speed,F-stop, and exposure?

Do you have a standard setting you start at or do you adjust your settings before you begin shooting, based on the lighting situation?

I have loved photography since I was younger, but only now have the opportunity to get a serious camera to develop that passion more intuitively.

greenterra

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Cohazard;117094; said:
Thanks guys!

I do have a first question, where do I start when trying to find the correct settings for ISO,speed,F-stop, and exposure?

Do you have a standard setting you start at or do you adjust your settings before you begin shooting, based on the lighting situation?

I have loved photography since I was younger, but only now have the opportunity to get a serious camera to develop that passion more intuitively.
Generally, I start with looking at the shot I want to capture and what sort of dof (depth of field) I want. With portraiture style shots, I want a shallower dof to get that creamy background so an aperture between f/2.8 - f/5 will be the go. Landscapes will usually be at least f/8 onwards. In these cases I set the aperture first with ISO set as low as possible, then set the shutter speed to suit. There are times though when this will be reversed though. For instance when shooting wildlife. As the subject is often in quick motion, shutter speed becomes the priority, then aperture and ISO. With fish shots, I adjust the shutter speed first to suit my sync speed of my flash transmitter(generally 1/200th -1/250th). ISO is set as low as possible and than aperture to suit. Hope that makes sense and helps a little.

Cohazard

Arapaima
Original poster
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
That makes perfect sense and answers my question, thank you!

I guess the more I shoot, the better idea I'll have in mind going into a session.

I've only recently began playing with ISO and exposure on my canon P&S and really liked the improvement over using straight auto settings.

Next on my list will be an su-800, sb 600, and 60mm macro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store