Which of these 2 ladies should I breed.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
As the title suggest, I'm asking everyone here on which of these 2 lovely ladies I should breed. They are both sisters from the same parents and the same batch of fry however they do not look anything alike. The one may look like a male but it is a female the only downside is, is she is already 7in atm while her lil sister has a very nice attitude and color while only being 4in. I plan on using 1 for breeding and 1 for show's but I can't seem to decide on which should be which.

So I turn to all of you on here to ask which of these 2 ladies I should try breeding.

cameringo_20200213_205217.jpg

cameringo_20200129_010708.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I like the second one.
Yeah she is very nice, she's also more interactive then her big sis is. She was the odd ball of the whole batch, looks nothing like the mother or father. I'll also include some pics of the parents in here for anyone that cares to look at. Top one is the mother while the bottom is the father.

IMG_20191218_200049845_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_050653803.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
If you want high percentage of big heads then I would use the first female with a big head male. If you like faders then go with the 2nd one. But since you got them both try them both.
Personally it's not too important if the fry end up with a big kok. I just mainly want the best looking color, pearling, attitude, flowerline, and body shape. Lol I know it's allot to ask for trying to get the "perfect" FH but I mainly want to know which one would be the best starting point. I still thank everyone who has put in their own thoughts and opinions in and thank all those who continue to do so in the future of this thread here. Always open for new ideas and thoughts/opinions.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Personally it's not too important if the fry end up with a big kok. I just mainly want the best looking color, pearling, attitude, flowerline, and body shape. Lol I know it's allot to ask for trying to get the "perfect" FH but I mainly want to know which one would be the best starting point. I still thank everyone who has put in their own thoughts and opinions in and thank all those who continue to do so in the future of this thread here. Always open for new ideas and thoughts/opinions.
If pearling and flower line is the goal then the first one obviously bc the second ones doesn’t have a flower line. The first one also has a more classic FH body shape (trimac lines?) the second one looks to be from Midas/mid evil lines?

Personally I like the look of the second one.

Might also depend on the male you breed with, you want to breed like to like fish for more streamline looking fry, if you bReed two totally different looking fish you will get a mixed looking batch. That’s just my opinion ?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I’ve got zero experience with these guys but like the lil sister / Piebold looking one.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
If pearling and flower line is the goal then the first one obviously bc the second ones doesn’t have a flower line. The first one also has a more classic FH body shape (trimac lines?) the second one looks to be from Midas/mid evil lines?

Personally I like the look of the second one.

Might also depend on the male you breed with, you want to breed like to like fish for more streamline looking fry, if you bReed two totally different looking fish you will get a mixed looking batch. That’s just my opinion ?
Yeah these 2 sisters ended up drastically different looking compared to each other that's for sure. Only problem I keep having with the bigger of the 2 is that she is so big it's just getting harder and harder to find a male that's close to her size or bigger. I'd prefer a male that's bigger then her but it's seems next to impossible to find a male anywhere near 8in. The lil sis is a bit more manageable being that she's about 3in shorter then the big one. They're both nice in their own rights tho. Lol been finding out over the past year that breeding FH's is not as simple and easy as it looked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store