Which species of dart frog are safe with fishes ?

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
I'm setting a p thingy - the land area is 18x48 and the water area is 30x48. The water area will be largely blackwater in that pure ro water will be used. Are there species of dart frogs that are safe to keep with fishes and will the dart frogs take advantage of the land area ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm setting a p thingy - the land area is 18x48 and the water area is 30x48. The water area will be largely blackwater in that pure ro water will be used. Are there species of dart frogs that are safe to keep with fishes and will the dart frogs take advantage of the land area ?
None

Reactions: jjohnwm

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Do NOT keep dendrobatids (and other terrestrial frogs, such as toadlets, mantellas, and harlequin toads) in an enclosure with any sort of water feature. They can and will drown; despite what many say, even dart frogs that are somewhat good at swimming (e.g. Epipedobates) will quickly tire if the body of water is relatively large (and if it can support fish, it probably is) and drown. I lost my second Ranitomeya summersi male because a springtail culture cup filled up ~1/2 of an inch after a misting system failure and the frog was unable to escape (that individual had some trouble eating beforehand, which may have also had something to do with it). Dart frogs are best kept in a species-only terrestrial enclosure; if this is something that sounds unappealing, there are several species of semi-aquatic frogs or some arboreal frog species that may do well with a water feature.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do NOT keep dendrobatids (and other terrestrial frogs, such as toadlets, mantellas, and harlequin toads) in an enclosure with any sort of water feature. They can and will drown; despite what many say, even dart frogs that are somewhat good at swimming (e.g. Epipedobates) will quickly tire if the body of water is relatively large (and if it can support fish, it probably is) and drown. I lost my second Ranitomeya summersi male because a springtail culture cup filled up ~1/2 of an inch after a misting system failure and the frog was unable to escape (that individual had some trouble eating beforehand, which may have also had something to do with it). Dart frogs are best kept in a species-only terrestrial enclosure; if this is something that sounds unappealing, there are several species of semi-aquatic frogs or some arboreal frog species that may do well with a water feature.
Wow didn't know all of that about the Dart Frogs. I know they occupied moist areas.

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Are there any decent critters you would recommend for this setup? Small turtle? red belly salamander? The water portion will be 18 inch deep and my intention if i can find the right shape wood is to have some wood that lean between the water and dry area barely (i.e, i'm looking for wood that is 18/19/20 inch tall). The fishes do have priority and as i mention will be blackwater species so sa critters would be prefered (for some reason i thought these frogs were found near rivers in sa but i guess i was mistaken).

Leonardo_CH

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2022
Switzerland
Are there any decent critters you would recommend for this setup? Small turtle? red belly salamander? The water portion will be 18 inch deep and my intention if i can find the right shape wood is to have some wood that lean between the water and dry area barely (i.e, i'm looking for wood that is 18/19/20 inch tall). The fishes do have priority and as i mention will be blackwater species so sa critters would be prefered (for some reason i thought these frogs were found near rivers in sa but i guess i was mistaken).
A bit late but fire bellied toads do pretty well in these kinds of setups and dont seem to care about the fish, they would use both the terrestrial and aquatic area. But they are from asia so they wouldnt really fit your theme.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store