White Ball on Silver Dollar's Nostril

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
I've recently noticed a white ballish substance on one of my Silver Dollars nostril. It doesn't seem to be affecting him/her in any way. The other nostril is completely normal.

Could it be the substrate? The substrate and the ball look quite similar to each other. However, I'm not convinced.

I've dosed with Paraguard and added some Prime because I'll be going on a one week vacation.

Also, in the past I've had another Silver Dollar have this ball on both nostrils, I seperated him by himself and 5-6 days later he died. I'm guessing because of stress.

Another thing is that my Silver Dollars sometimes just swim rapidly in to stuff when their scared and most of the time it's the substrate.

Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
if it is substrate, you can simply take the fish out and removed it gently by hand.
I'll try to doing that when I'm back from vacation (1 week).

Do you think it's a disease or Fungus of some sort?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've recently noticed a white ballish substance on one of my Silver Dollars nostril. It doesn't seem to be affecting him/her in any way. The other nostril is completely normal.

Could it be the substrate? The substrate and the ball look quite similar to each other. However, I'm not convinced.

I've dosed with Paraguard and added some Prime because I'll be going on a one week vacation.

Also, in the past I've had another Silver Dollar have this ball on both nostrils, I seperated him by himself and 5-6 days later he died. I'm guessing because of stress.

Another thing is that my Silver Dollars sometimes just swim rapidly in to stuff when their scared and most of the time it's the substrate.

Any advice is appreciated.

View attachment 1275344

View attachment 1275345

Its hard to tell from the pic but could very well just be substrate. Hopefully it will be gone when you get back.

Reactions: Ed204

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
Its hard to tell from the pic but could very well just be substrate. Hopefully it will be gone when you get back.
Do you think it's possible that it will get off by itself when the fish moves or do I have to manually do it myself?

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
I would just leave SD be it is not effecting its breathing.
Okay then, I understand attempting to remove the ball will stress the fish out.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay then, I understand attempting to remove the ball will stress the fish out.

Personally I would leave be but if you feel better catching and removeing it like Rocksor Rocksor stated catch and remove .

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
Personally I would leave be but if you feel better catching and removeing it like Rocksor Rocksor stated catch and remove .
Alright then, I'll see if it's still there on his nostril once I get back from vacation.

If he happens to have a disease of some sort should I treat with antibiotics? And any tips to treat it?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Alright then, I'll see if it's still there on his nostril once I get back from vacation.

If it happens do he a disease of some sort should I treat with antibiotics?

When you get back please update before treating with anything so members can give their best analysis of what it could be if it's still there. Enjoy your vacation.:)

Reactions: Ed204
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store