White pellet sized pieces floating around tank

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Hey guys. Came down to feed my flowerhorn and found these white objects floating in tank. I was able to get a pic of one stuck to the intake. My flowerhorn is about 3.5 inches.

1B6791ED-1DF5-4AB4-9004-D1091747E27E.jpeg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What meds and protocol should I follow to treat it
Epsom salt soaked food is a common method
There are some very extensive discussions on hexamita on this site, I would use the search function and read those through to get a good idea of the different methods

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Epsom salt soaked food is a common method
There are some very extensive discussions on hexamita on this site, I would use the search function and read those through to get a good idea of the different methods
Is this fairly easy to get rid of or is it a hardy parasite.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Is this fairly easy to get rid of or is it a hardy parasite.
It really depends on how bad the case is, I have had some fish pass it quickly with Epsom salt soaked pellets, and others which refused to eat and withered away. If your fish is eating still, your chances are good. If the Epsom doesn't get rid of it you can resort to metronidazole which is a more serious medicine.

Reactions: jwitty

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
It really depends on how bad the case is, I have had some fish pass it quickly with Epsom salt soaked pellets, and others which refused to eat and withered away. If your fish is eating still, your chances are good. If the Epsom doesn't get rid of it you can resort to metronidazole which is a more serious medicine.
How much epsom salt per unit of water for soaking pellets in

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Update: been feeding him epsom soaked pellets and been treating water with seachem metroplex for almost a week now. Here’s a pic of his poop. Looks a lot more brown than what it was a week ago. Although still a bit stringy, it seems to be a lot better.

D0AD5953-3C0A-470D-B757-4950565FA7F5.jpeg

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store