White sand + dirft wood + pleco = bad juju

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
So i recently change to sugar fine caribsea moonlight sand. I figured dirft wood would look good so back in it went. I then decided a royal L191 pleco wpuld be a good addition to the Tank, what i didnt realized was what a pleco would bring to the tank. Ive hadn't had a pleco in a while, at that it was always on gravel. Now heaving a wood eating pleco ia pretty cool, that being said it's makes for a messy waste producing fish. Combine thus said pleco with a good lighting system = 5 min of daily maintenance added to my morning routine.... between the shredded wood and fecal matter equals add work lol. Nevertheless its worth it. Anyone have similar experience with keeping plecos

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yes, I have noticed the same thing. White sand+pleco+wood= poop on sand. The fix is increased flow in the bottom level of your tank to carry the poo to your filter inlet. a small powerhead on the opposite side of the tank from the inlet about 6-8" off the sand with a slightly downturned head will do the trick.

Reactions: RocketGarStar

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
I have a power head to help only thing is sand is sugar fine and gets stirred up. Just a little more cleaning is need now

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
So i recently change to sugar fine caribsea moonlight sand. I figured dirft wood would look good so back in it went. I then decided a royal L191 pleco wpuld be a good addition to the Tank, what i didnt realized was what a pleco would bring to the tank. Ive hadn't had a pleco in a while, at that it was always on gravel. Now heaving a wood eating pleco ia pretty cool, that being said it's makes for a messy waste producing fish. Combine thus said pleco with a good lighting system = 5 min of daily maintenance added to my morning routine.... between the shredded wood and fecal matter equals add work lol. Nevertheless its worth it. Anyone have similar experience with keeping plecos
I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread - I have white sand, a beautiful piece of driftwood, AND I was literally just talking to my mom about getting this simply adorable royal pleco for the 75gallon. Maybe, since I'm busy with school, I should wait... I don't know if my gar and payara could handle so much disturbance every day. Thanks for posting, I think you may have just saved a life!

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Yes, I have noticed the same thing. White sand+pleco+wood= poop on sand. The fix is increased flow in the bottom level of your tank to carry the poo to your filter inlet. a small powerhead on the opposite side of the tank from the inlet about 6-8" off the sand with a slightly downturned head will do the trick.
Any tips on where to buy and how to set up said powerheads? Now I have two reasons to buy them - payara and wood eating pleco... Woe is me.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Any tips on where to buy and how to set up said powerheads? Now I have two reasons to buy them - payara and wood eating pleco... Woe is me.
Brand is personal preference, something like this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-M...20520187&sr=8-2&keywords=marineland+powerhead

Then just put it in the lower half of your tank and play around with the angles, will take a little trial and error, until it carries most of the poop towards the filter inlet. It wont be perfect, probably will still be a couple little dead spots or poop settling near filter, but should definitely be better.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Brand is personal preference, something like this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-M...20520187&sr=8-2&keywords=marineland+powerhead

Then just put it in the lower half of your tank and play around with the angles, will take a little trial and error, until it carries most of the poop towards the filter inlet. It wont be perfect, probably will still be a couple little dead spots or poop settling near filter, but should definitely be better.
Thank you so much - I could maybe grab a couple, and put them at different angles to get all of the dead spots. The catfish and cichlid may not appreciate it at first, but... I'm sure they'll get used to it.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Thank you so much - I could maybe grab a couple, and put them at different angles to get all of the dead spots. The catfish and cichlid may not appreciate it at first, but... I'm sure they'll get used to it.
I'd get the small ones if your going to do a couple. The big one will be a lot of GPH. Don't want to turn the tank into a whirlpool :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store