White Spots

zzlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Philippines
I have a question to you guys, what causes whitespots on tropical fishes? and how to prevent it ?
my small fh got one
pls help

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If you mean ich, it's a parasite. Something you put in the tank had the parasite. It typically comes on a fish (it lives in the fish skin or gill on the surface until it drops off), but sometimes comes on plants or water where the parasite was living.

It can be around for a while (there are debates on how long) before it becomes obvious, but typically it shows up within 10-20 days after a new arrival (on fish, plant, or water.) It might seem longer if people don't examine each fish all the time, if the fish color "hides" the white spot or if the tank is cooler.

Typically by the time one sees it on one fish, it's already elsewhere in the tank, at the bottom, or on other fish. An uncontrolled outbreak can wipe out a tank in a relatively short time.

It takes this long at around 80 F. At lower temperatures, it takes a LOT longer. Weeks in fact when temps are below 50 F.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzlover

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Great information here from Drstrangelove.

zzlover zzlover do you mind posting a picture?

zzlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Philippines
If you mean ich, it's a parasite. Something you put in the tank had the parasite. It typically comes on a fish (it lives in the fish skin or gill on the surface until it drops off), but sometimes comes on plants or water where the parasite was living.

It can be around for a while (there are debates on how long) before it becomes obvious, but typically it shows up within 10-20 days after a new arrival (on fish, plant, or water.) It might seem longer if people don't examine each fish all the time, if the fish color "hides" the white spot or if the tank is cooler.

Typically by the time one sees it on one fish, it's already elsewhere in the tank, at the bottom, or on other fish. An uncontrolled outbreak can wipe out a tank in a relatively short time.

It takes this long at around 80 F. At lower temperatures, it takes a LOT longer. Weeks in fact when temps are below 50 F.
can I get rid of this parasite by raising the temp to 30 degrees celcius? and put some salt on it?

zzlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Philippines
Take a picture and post it so you can get a confirmation. Temp and salt when properly used is a remedy for ich.
btw bro, can I ask you a question ? in feeding shrimps on flowerhorns, do i need to put the shrimp first on a boiling water before i feed my fish ? or I'll just hand it directly to him?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I'd feed them raw, pretty much like most other seafood.

Shell does have some nutritional value, but I can't tell you if it's risky for that fish. A huge fish like a 3 foot RTC or a natural predator like a Trigger fish would probably be fine, but for smaller freshwater fish it's probably a risk I'd avoid.

Here's a good thread on it:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...oiled-chilled-for-morays.660002/#post-7430701

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store