Who has the largest common pleco?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
A little over a foot... the old guy... how big do commons usually get? Heres my 7 incher and 12 incher..

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Depends on the species Liz... some get about 12-14", others will get to around the 2 foot mark. Depends what you consider commons... P. pardalis and P. disjunctivus, H. punctatus, H. plecostomus etc. some people would add in P. gibbiceps and maybe even other Pterygoplichthys species. It's kind of just been a generic name. May as well add in Ancistrus sp. '3' IMO lol.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
davo;1056861; said:
Depends on the species Liz... some get about 12-14", others will get to around the 2 foot mark. Depends what you consider commons... P. pardalis and P. disjunctivus, H. punctatus, H. plecostomus etc. some people would add in P. gibbiceps and maybe even other Pterygoplichthys species. It's kind of just been a generic name. May as well add in Ancistrus sp. '3' IMO lol.
If i took a good pic of him and the other guy would you know what species i have?I thought the big guy was full grown and matured .. maybe he still has some growing to do..???:D Missed you not being around to help answer these difficult questions..:D

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I think yours were both P. pardalis Liz... if I remember. They have more spotted dark vermiculations on a light background as opposed to more squiggly... think i have a picture of it somewhere. I'll try to find it. Pardalis can attain sizes over 50cm total length. Rottbo (i think) has/had a beautiful P. pardalis, that I think he said was about 2 foot.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
my big common is at least 9years old maybe a bit older and i have had him 7years! he is now 14":
15072007324.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store