Who likes super hybrids? :)

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Definately multi generational hybrids, not sure what qualifies as a "super hybrid..." Usually when that term is thrown around they are very high grade black and white hybrids from what I have seen.

Exotic Aquatics LLC

Piranha
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Definately multi generational hybrids, not sure what qualifies as a "super hybrid..." Usually when that term is thrown around they are very high grade black and white hybrids from what I have seen.
I noticed in most cases when my suppliers call rays super hybrids they are of the white and black variety. Start brown turn white and black at 8" or so. Hard to say what's in these. I see a lot of diff traits. Definitely some nice stuff regardless if they stay brown.

Reactions: scott s and SHARK13

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hybrids have always been some of my favorites. The nicest (well highest priced) rays on the market are hybrids. They have always caught my eye. Nice rays

Reactions: scott s and SHARK13

Tom Maguire

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not sure what qualifies as a "super" hybrid either. Just used the term cause I have no idea what else to call them. Either way they are very unique! I love the high end black hybrids I have a ton of those as well. Most of those generalization descriptions like "super" get thrown around quite a bit and the actual definition gets lost in translation. However, I feel as long as they are not being sold as something they are not then the terminology is fine.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
I'm not sure what qualifies as a "super" hybrid either. Just used the term cause I have no idea what else to call them. Either way they are very unique! I love the high end black hybrids I have a ton of those as well. Most of those generalization descriptions like "super" get thrown around quite a bit and the actual definition gets lost in translation. However, I feel as long as they are not being sold as something they are not then the terminology is fine.
Mind sharing some of your high end black hybrids?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Nope.......
Couldn't have said it better...... ;)

This whole mutt thing is going to screw this hobby in a bad way...... People being content with buying rays they have NO clue about lineage is a terrible idea.

We as hobbysist need to make a stand on this..... Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hybrids - WHEN and ONLY when lineage is known.

I think it's funny that people continue buying rays from breeders that refuse to disclose lineage. Don't know what it is? I'd never buy it. Sure as hell wouldn't peddle it.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
You will always have the unknown hybrids.

I see rays similar to dogs. Lots of mutts out there. Only difference is ray mutts are fetching higher prices then pure bred.

In the fish hobby the problem is no matter what people most people will buy with there eyes only. Purley by optics. This has led to the huge hybrid market. No need to know lineage..

Now I'm not saying all hybrids are nicer, cause IMO very high priced hybrids are the pretty ones and I do like them but probably could never afford them.

No offense to the OP but the general more common hybrids circulating like the ones above are IMO are way over priced and should be priced much lower. To each is own and it is proving that hybrids are the thing of the future!??

I agree if you can provide lineage it should devalue the fish big time

Reactions: SHARK13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store