BGK
Blue acara
Yellow acara
Hoplo catfish
Emerald brochis cats
Colombian tetras
Diamond tetras
Black neon tetras
And several various juvenile pleco species.

Today I noticed 3 of the black neons looking pretty beat up. Like, fins missing, patches without scales, etc.
Water parameters are fine and there's not a scratch on any of the other fish.
The BGK is about 7" and the acaras are both 3". Is this the result of the bigger fish picking on the neons, and if so, which one is the culprit?

I knew the neons would end up as feeders one day, I'm just trying to figure out if that's what's happening or if I should be looking for other causes.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably lean toward the bgk as well.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I was thinking the same. I always thought the bgk would just swallow them whole if he wanted to. Is he going to start picking at the acaras and plecos as well? I don't wanna find those fish missing eyeballs one morning.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I was thinking the same. I always thought the bgk would just swallow them whole if he wanted to. Is he going to start picking at the acaras and plecos as well? I don't wanna find those fish missing eyeballs one morning.
Doubt it as they have taller and thicker bodies. Plus the bgk’s growth should slow down a bit at that size.

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
I would think either Neon tetra disease or sparing among the tetras. The other fish would probably swallow them whole.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store