Why are they scared

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
I bought 7 F1 gold barred midas from Rapps 2 months ago at 1.5 in now they are between 3 to 4 in.
i have 125 gallon tank with a FX6 water is 0, 0, .10 i do 30% WC every other day and a 50% vac on Sundays. I feed hikari gold floating pellet.
For the last week when i feed they act scared to come to the top to eat when they do they shoot to the top like a rocket ship at 100 miles per hour.
Should i change to a sinking pellet? if so for how long i hate feeding sinking pellets?
Advice pls

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I bought 7 F1 gold barred midas from Rapps 2 months ago at 1.5 in now they are between 3 to 4 in.
i have 125 gallon tank with a FX6 water is 0, 0, .10 i do 30% WC every other day and a 50% vac on Sundays. I feed hikari gold floating pellet.
For the last week when i feed they act scared to come to the top to eat when they do they shoot to the top like a rocket ship at 100 miles per hour.
Should i change to a sinking pellet? if so for how long i hate feeding sinking pellets?
Advice pls

They are instinctively doing that I would not change to sinking for that reason .

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
This I have seen before and it is a PAIN IN THE ARSE!

My main 10 inch male RD is this way, and he's always been this way(3+ years). I've decided that he's seeing his reflection on the surface and it freaks him out. His babies (now 4+ inches) couldn't care less and will eat from anywhere in the water column.

He will come up and get the food, but splashes water out of the tank on the way back down. I've continued to feed sinking, but as soon as soon as they start competing more with him for hikari large floating pellets, I think he'll realize "I have to get over this fear, or I'm gonna starve to death" because all of the juvies will eat all of the food first.

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY

My main 10 inch male RD is this way, and he's always been this way(3+ years). I've decided that he's seeing his reflection on the surface and it freaks him out. His babies (now 4+ inches) couldn't care less and will eat from anywhere in the water column.

He will come up and get the food, but splashes water out of the tank on the way back down. I've continued to feed sinking, but as soon as soon as they start competing more with him for hikari large floating pellets, I think he'll realize "I have to get over this fear, or I'm gonna starve to death" because all of the juvies will eat all of the food first.

the research I've done also seems to suggests that they feel like prey being at the top as the bottom fish can attack them from the bottom any ideas?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
the research I've done also seems to suggests that they feel like prey being at the top as the bottom fish can attack them from the bottom any ideas?
Sorry I replied back so late but this is why I said they instinctively do that they probably think you are a threat until they realize your not when they get settled down.☺

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
Sorry I replied back so late but this is why I said they instinctively do that they probably think you are a threat until they realize your not when they get settled down.☺
I've had them over 2 months they just started this last week and after I feed them I sit down about 6 feet away also as a side note they become more aggressive towards each other as long as the pellets are floating.
It's very frustrating

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature the most common predators of young cichlids are birds, so as stated before this is totally normal and instinctive behavior. If you had some surface dwelling dither fish (like live bearers, for them to watch, and assess threat, this might provide some comfort. But due to the bird predation, most young cichlids feed off the substrate to avoid becoming targets, so your offering only floating pellets kind of goes against their normal comfort zone. The photos below are from a river in Colombia.
fullsizeoutput_2af.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2ae.jpeg

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
In nature the most common predators of young cichlids are birds, so as stated before this is totally normal and instinctive behavior. If you had some surface dwelling dither fish (like live bearers, for them to watch, and assess threat, this might provide some comfort. But due to the bird predation, most young cichlids feed off the substrate to avoid becoming targets, so your offering only floating pellets kind of goes against their normal comfort zone. The photos below are from a river in Colombia.
View attachment 1259477
View attachment 1259478
So when they were only 2in they had no fear of the top? but now that they have matured there natural behaviors are coming out hence why there scared to go the top.
I've always had Petland fish is it because these guys are F1 there natural behavior is coming out like it would in the wild?
So i guess i will try the sinking pellets for a while.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would suggest adding either floating plants or some branches to provide cover at the surface.Many nervous cichlids come out of their shells if they have ample surface cover.
I would also try a shoal of swordtails to make them feel more relaxed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store