Why do my flowerhorn scares when I on the light

Harry potter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2018
India
I Bought a flowerhorn before 1 week he is going well when lights are off But when I on the light . He's getting scared and settle down. Please tell me how make him active even when lights are on

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
On my cichlid tanks (the ones with lights), they are on timers.
After the sun enters, most tanks with skidding cichlids have two light bars, one goes on, then about 15 minutes later the other does.
In this way, it a gradual wake up, like in nature, never going from pitch black, to noon day bright in an instant.

Harry potter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2018
India
Ohh but my lights are LED
When ever I on them he getting scared
He's alright when lights are off so I newer switch on lights plz say me how to make him a habit of being with light

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Please put your aquarium light on a timer like was stated by Duanes your fish will learn when light is going to come on and off. If you keep cutting lights on and off at inconsistent times they will continue to be skittish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Some of mine are LEDs too, a gradual night day transition should help.

Some tanks have both LED and fluorescent, and my timers are set to turn the lesser bright fluorescent tubes off, a little while after the brighter lights kick in.
I know a bit anal, but it works well for skittish fish.
By the way, spell check changed skittish to something else, in my first reply.

Terta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2016
When I get new fish they ate usually always skiddish for a while while getting use to my schedule. Lights are not mandatory for tanks unless you are growing plants so if he's not skiddish with lights off maybe leave lights off until he's totally settled in. If your confident he's doing well in his new home a timer may be key. If he gets use to sun coming up and coming on around the home. Same time everyday his lights turn on that will help. It's likely that if you got him from pet store they had all there lights on timers as well.

Reactions: Harry potter

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I have read somewhere reputable, that fish eyes, unlike ours, and presumably unlike many mammals, do not instantly adjust to light. It's not only gradual, but pre-timed biologically. That is, they are pre-timed to adjust to light when the light is supposed to be on based upon evolution, not based on the owners decisions.

So snapping on the lights is sure to cause many fish great consternation.

Go with natural sources until the room is well-lit, or use a slow timers or multiple differently timed light sources.

Here's a couple sources:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature2
http://animals.mom.me/structure-fishs-eye-10517.html
https://earthlife.net/fish/sight.html

Last edited:

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
add some school fish to your tank like giant danios they will make your big cichlid more comfortable as he sees the danios racing around he will feel more secure and thus come out more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store