Why does my tank water reek after feedings?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The tank always smells after I feed hikari - the fish love it, and I’ve grown to not mind the smell.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I get that people complain about the smell of Massivores (although I personally think there are many other foods that smell as bad or worse). But I can't say that I've ever noticed them imparting an odour to the water or the tank.

You hear all the time that you should feed no more than the fish will eat in 5 minutes or 10 minutes or whatever. I think that might be the problem. When I feed my fish the food is completely gone within a few seconds in most cases, a minute tops. The only things I feed Massivore to are my Jelly Cat and my Axolotl; the cat gets a dozen or so pellets at a time, dropped right on top of his mouth as he suspends vertically just at the surface. A perfect feed is when he slurps the whole bunch up simultaneously; sometimes he will miss one or two but he quickly scouts around and finds them.

The Axolotl gets one pellet, which is carefully and precisely dropped so as to fall down directly on top of his snout. He is such an utter klutz that he still manages to miss it half the time! But if he doesn't find it and scarf it up within a minute or so, I carefully reach in with a long baster/feeder gizmo, pick it up and offer it again.

My skin just about crawls when I see pics of fish in tanks that have drifts and piles of uneaten food on the bottom all around them, especially when the accommpanying text casually mentions that the food will be removed "that evening" or "the next day". Yuck! :yuck:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store