Why don't more people keep marine or brackish fish?

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
I've personally never been much into saltwater or brackish for the simple fact I didn't know much about it. Saltwater and brackish tanks to me were always that niche group of people almost like african cichlid keepers and it wasn't exciting to me. I also never saw the type of fish we see on this forums freshwater tanks, such as the monster fish, tank busters, and aggressive predators.
I've always wondered why more people don't venture into monster marine or brackish fish tanks with all the abundance of fish out there.
This year alone out of the almost 16 years I've kept fish I found out there are more than 6 fish that venture into brackish water and that is all thanks to fugupuff fugupuff . Saltwater is the same, I wonder is it just because of availability or lack of that we don't see more or is it because there isn't any information on ocean predators in aquaria or perhaps the abundance of equipment we think we need to run them?
I would love to try and see others perspectives on this subject and perhaps spark a new outlook. I know there is more out there than the "Nemo's" and "Dory's" and reef tanks that people could venture into.

yellowspotted-trevally-800x600.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
It’s that saltwater has a certain connotation to it that makes it seem harder than it is.
For me personally I don’t fancy paying for salt for each and every water change. A bottle of prime lasts me months. A bucket of salt lasts me a single water change depending on how big of a system I’m running.

Once I’m stable it’s big saltwater tanks for me and big tanks in general.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Think the fish are too expensive.
Well if you start off in freshwater then saltwater fish are much more expensive than what you’re used to paying. I can find dozens of freshwater fish that cost less then $5 each. I don’t think I could find even 5 saltwater fish that cost less then $5 each.
On the upside if you started off with saltwater then freshwater is a walk in the park.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Price of saltwater vs fresh is an immense jump, but fish when you think about it (available in hobby anyways) freshwater are more expensive than the average saltwater fish. Sure, some rare tangs can get in the thousands and some other weird fish, but majority you see in home aquaria are the Angel's, mid range tangs, wrasse, and some anthias which all in all go from 50-500. When you think about peacock bass, rarer catfish like tigrinus etc and the mahseer or many other fish you average a couple hundred easy.
Upkeep perhaps could add up as many saltwater systems are said to need multi stage filters on top of the sump and even a protein skimmer. Which on larger systems protein skimmers easily top a grand or so.
All said though, the saltwater game really hasn't changed since the 80's, except for technology, but fish keeping, and availability of fish has remained nearly the same. I haven't heard anyone bring in any ultra rare stuff and I haven't seen anybody out there keep saltwater fish like people keep freshwater fish except for those rare keepers who focus on shark's.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Most think Saltwater is difficult.
Think the fish are too expensive.
Don't want the task of mixing salt.
I suspect that those points deter quite a few would be salt creepers but overall I think that salt keeping is very popular,just not on here.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
fish when you think about it (available in hobby anyways) freshwater are more expensive than the average saltwater fish.
Ok I’m sorry but that is false.
The people on this site are the minority of freshwater fish keepers, the majority of freshwater fish keepers don’t go out and have monster fish like we do. They stick with their 75 gallons with small community tanks. I would imagine that saltwater is similar except for the reefing community. The small community freshwater fish cost a lot less than the small community saltwater fish.

I’m all for being proven wrong if you can find the evidence to back up your claim.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ok I’m sorry but that is false.
The people on this site are the minority of freshwater fish keepers, the majority of freshwater fish keepers don’t go out and have monster fish like we do. They stick with their 75 gallons with small community tanks. I would imagine that saltwater is similar except for the reefing community. The small community freshwater fish cost a lot less than the small community saltwater fish.

I’m all for being proven wrong if you can find the evidence to back up your claim.
I believe this to be completely true, as I have lived it. The majority salt keepers tend to go for reef tanks which would equate to a fresh water community tank as much as possible barring the corals. As such most community fresh fish are less then $20 while the majority of reef tank fish that most would want to keep start at $20, most are higher. I had a reef full of wrasses the cheepest was around $30. I also had a reef with mostly cheeper fish some damsels and gobies all pretty much right around the $15 to 20 mark. I currently have a lol "mixed" community the price range is pretty wide but on average around $7/fish.
While this isnt always the case in my case salt has been more costly in the fish department, upkeep and power consumption.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store