Why I'm not seing "monster" aquaponics setups in english communities? Is by googlefoo bad? xD

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So... we all know that if we stick a pothos in the aquarium, it consumes the nitrates hense, less "frequent water changes" (not really).
I've found a couple of russian channels, that took that several levels higher. Here's an example:

While the dude explains well how to build one and stuff, I find it hard to understand the slang he's using for the plumming and stuff.
Like, he says "here we use the 32 pipe that connects with derpy derp blah thing to the 16 pipe" in one of his videos.
Since I'm on a different continent, I can't just walk to Rona and say to a dude that works there "фвыр лцкуелдр фывибьт!" meaning "give me a 32 pipe" ?

Their measurements and terminology are so different. There's plenty of "slang" words that I have no idea what they mean, so naturally, I went to look for info in english... and there's not much... am I googling this wrong?

I was able to find info about aquaponics, but I find it's lacking info compared to the russian channels and ppl focuse on growing "basil" and pothos.

I must be googling wrong xD
In russian, it's called a "phytofilter", but there's not much with that terminology in english.
"Aquaponics" search just brings me to "stick things in water" type of pages and not how to calculate the piping I need, how much weight I can put on top of the tank or how much the whole setup weights and how to fix it to the wall xD

Herbs quite honestly, requires less of complicated setup than the "phytofilter" setups from the videos. You just get a bucket, a "bubble maker", lights and fertilize once in a while.
In the russian videos, they stick plants that don't really live in aquaponics (ferns, stromanthe, calathea, etc) with pothos, monsteras, etc and it works.

I have no idea how to not f*ck up calculate properly the piping, strenght of pump, etc so I don't flood anything.

Did I ask already if I'm searching wrong? xD

PS: This is not a palladarium. Paladariums are "a pretty fish tank with lower water line". "Phytofilter" is a sump like container (but a bit simpler) with lecca & other substrate and plants on top of the fish tank.
The dude from the video and some other channels have climate controls, where they literally "make it rain" on the plants twice a day, but yet, their walls are not wet or moldy.
I kinda want to make something similar (with my humble sized 90 gal), but just to afraid to continue to ruin flooring in BF's condo with poor piping calculations xD

• Wow
Reactions: i Aqua

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I think the "phyto filter" you are talking about could just be an overhead sump?

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I think the "phyto filter" you are talking about could just be an overhead sump?
Sumps are generally more complicated than the "phyto filters" since they have more compartments.
The "phyto filter" shouldn't really have more than 3 compartments, which is the intake, the main section with the lecca balls and the drainage.
The more compartments, the more flow restriction, the more fish poop clogging the lecca, the more root rot and plants dying.

Also, the water that goes into the "phyto filter" is already filtered by the sump or your filter of choise so it already went through all the mechanical filtration.
The "phyto filter" isn't ment to have the bacteria that does the nitrate's cycle, it's just ment to take the final stage of nitrates out to stretch water changes.

Russians stick "monster plants" that grow massive because those require lots of "fertilization", plants that are more delicate & grow slowe is for looks.
The more biger&faster the plant grows, the more nitrates it consumes.

I'll go google the overhead sump in more detail now, they probably tell the magic of not flooding anything :p

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
You should be able to find plenty of resources based on standard hydroponic setups. Establishing something with a 90g aquarium doesn’t seem it would require anything particular monster sized - it’s likely smaller than most typical hydroponic setups. I would think the easiest workflow would be to have raised growbed over the tank with a bell syphon setup for intermittent flooding. If you have a sump under the tank you could have the growbed below the level of the main tank but above the sump and it could drain directly into the sump.

Here’s a good video on bell siphon hydroponics:

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
There’s a place near Chicago that’s like a mini farm that’s all about recycling. They have a huge aquaponics with tilapia and perch to create waste for plants like carrots, they use some parts/leftovers from the plants to create food for the fish. Though they didn’t grow plants for decorations, they grew plants for food, having the passing water go through areas with plant roots and clay balls. It was pretty impressive from what I can remember, but this was from years ago.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
My wifes family is ukranian, I will be visiting the brother in law on the weekend. I will show him the video and see if he can make any sense of it and let you know if there is any way to convert the measurements and dialect.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
There are plenty of successful aquaponic setups that don't use a rise and fall bed. Just keep the grow media bed permanetly submerged (constant flood) which will greatly simplify your design and build. So essentially just a second catchment for plants somewhere - could be above, below or beside your fish tank. If you are unsure what pipe sizes to use, over size them and/or use a variable flow pump so you can increase or decrease the water flowrate

The best results would be to place the plant catchment tank outside to get natural sunlight. Connected by input and drainage pipes. Second best would be a skylight or solar tube to get indirect natural sunlight.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Agree with others. If it’s the plumbing that you need help with some research on how to properly setup a sump should set you straight. A dc pump in the main tank and a herbie drain with a gate valve on the overhead sump should do the trick.

Reactions: Urgula
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store