Why my plecos are not eating the algae wafers?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I have been giving my plecos some live food and rarely algae wafers. there is also alot of algae in the tank.

I bought a big box of algae wafers the other day, and when I put algae wafers, they come and try to taste it and then they leave it. they do not eat it. does it mean that plecos became more picky on the food as they have been eating live food lately? or perhaps the quality of the algae wafers are ****ty quality, I do not know how to test for the algae quality, they smell nice, but i am not sure what is it made from. can you tell if the quality of the algae wafers are very bad the pleco dont want them?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
For those plecos try putting some zucchini in the tank as they all like veggies. For the clown pleco, he will need some wood in his tank.

keep trying with the foods as it can take some time for the to recognize what is actually good.

also check their stomachs and eyed for signs of being sunken in, you may need to treat them for internal worms.

for your algae wafers just check the ingredients listed on the package. My plecos like north fin tabs

finadic

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
What type of Plecos do you have, some of them are carnivores and like more high protein foods, did they come in wild. You might want to treat them with purple one capful of each 50 gallons of water once a day for 5-7 days change the water after 5th day. Here’s a link to the purlple magic.

Randles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2021
UK
Omega one Kelp Wafers are great I use these because they have quite a high meat content. I also use NT Labs algae wafers which contain lignin for the wood eaters and are a bit more veggie that the Omega One. Not sure if NT Labs is available where you are though but Ive never seen any of my plecs in the past pass this stuff up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store