why my plecos jump to the surface catching a bubble air and then go back?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I’ve always thought and heard that like other catfish, plecos breathe air and will take breathes from the top of the tank. Every pleco I’ve ever had had shown this behavior

I’ve only ever seen common plecos (hypostomus) do that this ability let’s them survive some pretty bad water conditions but that’s not the norm. All the OP’s fish are gasping for air…either he did too big of a water change and the parameters changed drastically, the OP put too much dechlorinator, or there’s not enough O2 saturation.

Do a SMALL water change and add some surface agitation or point the outflow of the flex upwards

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn heres a link for your benefit

And also I have a flex but a smaller model his is a wider 32g vs my 15g knowing how they are designed in the back it has too many downfalls knowing how his tank was set up and easily could put two and two together.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn heres a link for your benefit

And also I have a flex but a smaller model his is a wider 32g vs my 15g knowing how they are designed in the back it has too many downfalls knowing how his tank was set up and easily could put two and two together.
Thank you. The OP had overdosed water conditioner.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Thanks very much. After water change the issue with my puffers are solved, but the plecos still jump to catch air once in a while. As phreeflow rightly pointed l, my common plecos does that but my expensive L129 do not show this behavior.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks very much. After water change the issue with my puffers are solved, but the plecos still jump to catch air once in a while. As phreeflow rightly pointed l, my common plecos does that but my expensive L129 do not show this behavior.
Well, there ya go; ya get what ya pay for. Buy those cheap common places, have problems. Buy expensive L-numbers and they behave like the class act that they are.

I hope it's obvious that I am joking. I have had only a few species of pleco-type cats over the years and have never observed any of them display this behaviour.

I also have very little experience with water conditioners and de-chlorinatora, being on a well. I do see experienced keepers on MFK recommending that a tank should be dosed for its entire volume even when water changes are only a portion of that volume, which seems to imply that there is a lot of leeway with safe dosages of these products. Why are we talking about overdoses now? Do these products interfere with oxygen exchange? How much would be required to produce a deleterious effect?

Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn how did you come to the conclusion that your tank was overdosed?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Well, there ya go; ya get what ya pay for. Buy those cheap common places, have problems. Buy expensive L-numbers and they behave like the class act that they are.

I hope it's obvious that I am joking. I have had only a few species of pleco-type cats over the years and have never observed any of them display this behaviour.

I also have very little experience with water conditioners and de-chlorinatora, being on a well. I do see experienced keepers on MFK recommending that a tank should be dosed for its entire volume even when water changes are only a portion of that volume, which seems to imply that there is a lot of leeway with safe dosages of these products. Why are we talking about overdoses now? Do these products interfere with oxygen exchange? How much would be required to produce a deleterious effect?

Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn how did you come to the conclusion that your tank was overdosed?
The way I came to the conclusion is that my mom had done a water change the day before and I asked how much she dosed the tank with and her answer “ about 2 or 3 capfuls” I literally put my face into my hands and screamed. I looked at what she dosed with and it’s api conditioner meant for ponds, 1ml per 20g. My mom had put around 30ml into the tank so I immediately did a water change, dosed half of what it says and I hid the water conditioner from her

Reactions: professorjimjam

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Thanks a lot. I just bought a airstone just in case, if I would need it. For now all is good . Thanks a lot for your help

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal

Have no clue how much would cause a negative effect as there’s a wide margin of error but too much can have an effect on O2 levels when compounded with other issues. https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...e-to-overdose-Seachem-Prime-?mobile_site=true

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store