Why?

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Just out of curiosity why do people that have never owned a fish that someones asking about respond to a question they ask about the species? This has been eating at me cant bite my lip anymore hahaha. A lot of people are just regurgitating wikipedia or google. Im sure most people asking questions have exhausted the google search bar and come here to find answers from people experienced with the species or problems they may have, not to be told something someone found on google. Sorry long rant lol

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Just out of curiosity why do people that have never owned a fish that someones asking about respond to a question they ask about the species? This has been eating at me cant bite my lip anymore hahaha. A lot of people are just regurgitating wikipedia or google. Im sure most people asking questions have exhausted the google search bar and come here to find answers from people experienced with the species or problems they may have, not to be told something someone found on google. Sorry long rant lol
I agree with you to an extent. It is frustrating to look for good advice and have someone you know has no experience comment. People like to show off how much they know.

But then there are people that rehash good advice from experienced fish keepers, so it can still be valuable until further questions stem from the original. Usually that person will go silent around that time.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I will occasionally do this, but it's done with a caveat typically, saying I've not owned that species. If you are on this forum a lot and a researcher, you learn a ton from the members on the community so IMO can give helpful info past google searching.

That being said, when someone does this, they should be mentioning that they've not owned the species but are speaking from reading a lot about them. (And then tag someone who owns/has owned one to chip in and help. ;) )

That doesn't get done here nearly as much as it could. People say something with an air of certainty when it could be said more like "it's my understanding from reading on the forum that.... but I'm not sure..." to at least give the person an idea that you're not 100% sure.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I am all over the forum I read just about every thread at least the ones I stand to gain anything from. I just don't comment on things I don't know enough about, or at least add some value to the conversation.
But I believe some just want to be part of what's going on, so they try to jump in and just read something they looked up on the internet.
Kinda like I just did with this post! Lol

jimoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Providence, RI
Lots of advice isn't species specific. I own, or have owned, some species almost no one has owned. If I have a problem and only wanted feedback from those who have owned it, I wouldn't get any advice.

Reactions: J. H. and tcav88

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
It's a "phenomenon" that happens on MANY forums. There's no other explanation.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=post whore

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I research on here most times to know what to expect from a fish im planning on getting and possible problems and solutions. To many times you see people telling someone they cant do something when they have no experience with the matter or telling them tank sizes for a specific fish only to find out they have that fish in a tank size under a size they pounded into someone elses mind.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Idk about everyone else but i only take the advice of someone whos owned the fish i have a question about

Reactions: jaws7777

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I understand some fish you have people havent owned but if its a reputal vendor than he or she should be able to shed light on those fish. Theres always a first hahaha youll be asked by others you inspire to get those fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store