Wild ‘Columbia’ Oscars

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I have tried multiple times to reintroduce and see how it does but it has not done well with the other wild Oscar. It seems to only know one thing and that is to nip and bite. There is a subtle show of dominace from the red toward Oscar #2 but it is within normal safe pecking order stuff. oscar #1 just goes at the other wild like its just trying to bully it to death. At this point they are pretty much the same size with #2 being slightly bigger even. But its all about attitude and #1 has it and lots of it.
So you still planning to keep both wild o?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Well down to one wild oscar now. After multiple attempts at getting the fish to get along with the others, Oscar #1 was rereleased and all seemed well. Came back hours later to find it had been picked on and basically descaled like the last oscar was. I had not seen any real bad aggressive behavior so I thought it was going to work out. So now Oscar #2 is the offical keeper from the wild Columbia batch.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Been so busy with summertime work around the house that I have not updated.

So this one is not new but it gives a little idea how the wild caught is turning out.

The red and wild swim around all over the place but the red does not hold back from biting on the wild. This wild is starting to almost look like a tiger but the difference in shape and head is very different. I do notice this one did not have the growth rate of the other wild Columbia and it is not quite as elongated looking. Anyway thats all I have to show you guys for now. Will try and attempt some new pics soon.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Long overdue update of the wild.

Sorry not the clearest picture

Some things Ive noticed are the cautiousness it has. The red oscar immediately goes at food and comes to the top when Im near the tank. The wild waits to see what is going on before putting itself in a position of danger.

The wild has a really nice shape whereas the red has a bit of a different slope to the forehead. Its not bad just not the cool rounded feature of the wild.

Not a ton of red spangles on the wild but seems to look okay.

If I were to base it all off personality I would keep only the red, the wild is just not as outgoing or friendly at this point.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I feel like that can be the case with wild fish in general until they get used to you... and some don't tame up as well even then.

Cool observations - I'm enjoying these updates!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store