Will any fry survive?

TheFishNerd

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
My Imbellis bettas finally bred! The fry became free-swimming today and are being cared for very well by their dedicated father. However, I was just surprised and found out I leave to go to Florida at 2 today meaning I will not be able to care for them. There was a chance we would go but I wasn't told until yesterday so the eggs were already released. I found someone to feed the adults while I am gone but no one will be dedicated enough to feed them every three hours and keep baby brine shrimp cultures going. I cut as many pieces of my foxtail to float by the nest as I could. I also took all my floating plants out of my other aquariums to add as much cover and opportunity for microorganisms to grow as possible. It also has an oak leaf litter just like all my other betta tanks and the water has been standing still for at least a week now. Do you think any fry will make it? I really don't want to leave the fry to starve them but I can breed them again while this may be my only chance to go to Florida. If there is no chance any will make it should I remove the nest and fry now and release them into my 10 gallon heavy planted tank where there is more opportunity for food to let the male rest and not waste his energy caring for fry that have no chance of making it?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Fish are pretty crazy things and can go a very long time without food, how long are you going for?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
ILONDA auto/WiFi feeder? $30 on amazon

TheFishNerd

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
I'm gone for 3 days. I return Monday evening. Being newly hatched I know the first 24 hours are crucial so I'm feeding them what I can but we leave in a few minutes. I didn't have enough time to get an auto feeder.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The dad will be fine, maybe some fry will make it! Don't stress :D

Unit-3

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2020
Dunno, maybe the male will grind up some food to feed his fry, but I don't know for sure, as I've never kept them. Good luck, though!

TheFishNerd

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
Good news, fish are well and in good health with the exception of a veil tail male whose fins rotted off without his daily water changes. He is an old boy and was struggling before I left. I'm doing my best to save him and he has made some improvement but I don't think he will make a full recovery, unfortunately. I have at least 20 surviving fry who have doubled in the short time I was gone. They stay at the surface and scoot around looking for food. I am not sure what happened while I was gone but the brine shrimp eggs are missing in action. I've looked in every corner and asked everyone who was in the house if they know where they are but they are simply gone and I don't have the money to order more for awhile. The best food I have is freeze-dried daphnia. At the rate they are growing I am hoping they will be big enough to eat it by the end of the week but am worried they will run out of microorganisms before I get them to eat the daphnia. I do have New Life Spectrum fry starter that I have been feeding very little bits 3 times a day hoping it will feed the organisms in the tank to feed the fry since the fry will not take the powdered food. I'm hoping the leaf litter and plants will be enough to keep them healthy.

Reactions: Hendre and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Good news, fish are well and in good health with the exception of a veil tail male whose fins rotted off without his daily water changes. He is an old boy and was struggling before I left. I'm doing my best to save him and he has made some improvement but I don't think he will make a full recovery, unfortunately. I have at least 20 surviving fry who have doubled in the short time I was gone. They stay at the surface and scoot around looking for food. I am not sure what happened while I was gone but the brine shrimp eggs are missing in action. I've looked in every corner and asked everyone who was in the house if they know where they are but they are simply gone and I don't have the money to order more for awhile. The best food I have is freeze-dried daphnia. At the rate they are growing I am hoping they will be big enough to eat it by the end of the week but am worried they will run out of microorganisms before I get them to eat the daphnia. I do have New Life Spectrum fry starter that I have been feeding very little bits 3 times a day hoping it will feed the organisms in the tank to feed the fry since the fry will not take the powdered food. I'm hoping the leaf litter and plants will be enough to keep them healthy.

They will find microorganisms in the leaf litter that was another source of food for them.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store