Will I eventually need to upgrade?

traywilly0611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hey guys, I just got a 75 gallon tank (48.5in x 18.5in x 21.125in)

I have 4 juvenile blood parrots. (2 inches - 3.5inches) I’ve had them for maybe 4 months.

I just got a juvenile jack Dempsey maybe 4 days ago. (2 inches)

I’m feeding them Omega 1 super color flakes, 2 times a day. I feed them freeze dried blood worms once a week.

They’re currently sharing a 38g until I move out.

I’ll then set up the 75g. I’m thinking of running an AquaClear 110. So I think they won’t be actually in the 75g until maybe July or August.

I can add photos if you guys want to see them.

I’m also interested in any tank ideas you guys think would be good. I was thinking of a rocky/driftwood type theme with black sand mixed with green glo gravel. (Green’s my favorite color)

most importantly will I need to upgrade/separate or should they all be fine. They really aren’t aggressive until you add something new into the tank and the blood parrots accepted the JD with open fins. I do believe the JD will be more territorial as he matures that’s why I waited to get him.

I’m open to all suggestions.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys, I just got a 75 gallon tank (48.5in x 18.5in x 21.125in)

I have 4 juvenile blood parrots. (2 inches - 3.5inches) I’ve had them for maybe 4 months.

I just got a juvenile jack Dempsey maybe 4 days ago. (2 inches)

I’m feeding them Omega 1 super color flakes, 2 times a day. I feed them freeze dried blood worms once a week.

They’re currently sharing a 38g until I move out.

I’ll then set up the 75g. I’m thinking of running an AquaClear 110. So I think they won’t be actually in the 75g until maybe July or August.

I can add photos if you guys want to see them.

I’m also interested in any tank ideas you guys think would be good. I was thinking of a rocky/driftwood type theme with black sand mixed with green glo gravel. (Green’s my favorite color)

most importantly will I need to upgrade/separate or should they all be fine. They really aren’t aggressive until you add something new into the tank and the blood parrots accepted the JD with open fins. I do believe the JD will be more territorial as he matures that’s why I waited to get him.

I’m open to all suggestions.

Welcome aboard

If you don't want growth problems I suggest you do water changes minimum of %50 weekly because as they grow the bioload of the 38 gallon will increase. Also I personally would have held off on the Jack Dempsey. Cichlids require space for territory.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Couple of things...
Parrots get more territorial as they grow. I found out the hard way...my parrots fought so much they're in separate tanks now (and they were tankmates at the store!) Like dempseys, they need space and are heavy bioload fish. Dempseys can be territorial too...you might luck out with a mellow one but I wouldn't count on it. I'd say you've bought yourself 2 or 3 months...

Upgrade to 150 or 180 if you can swing it. Easier to maintain water quality, better footprint.

traywilly0611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2019
Welcome aboard

If you don't want growth problems I suggest you do water changes minimum of %50 weekly because as they grow the bioload of the 38 gallon will increase. Also I personally would have held off on the Jack Dempsey. Cichlids require space for territory.
Ok I’ve been doing 25% every week. I will up it. I’m actually preparing to change the water now. Will they be fine all together in the 75G.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok I’ve been doing 25% every week. I will up it. I’m actually preparing to change the water now. Will they be fine all together in the 75G.

When mature the 75 gallon will be over stocked imo. You may have issues with the Jack Dempsey.

traywilly0611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2019
Couple of things...
Parrots get more territorial as they grow. I found out the hard way...my parrots fought so much they're in separate tanks now (and they were tankmates at the store!) Like dempseys, they need space and are heavy bioload fish. Dempseys can be territorial too...you might luck out with a mellow one but I wouldn't count on it. I'd say you've bought yourself 2 or 3 months...

Upgrade to 150 or 180 if you can swing it. Easier to maintain water quality, better footprint.
It was so hard to find the 75g, I was looking for it for a whole year. I doubt I’ll be able to find let alone afford a 150g. What do you suggest I do? I believe I still have time to return the jack even though I don’t want to but it wouldn’t be fair to him.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
It was so hard to find the 75g, I was looking for it for a whole year. I doubt I’ll be able to find let alone afford a 150g. What do you suggest I do? I believe I still have time to return the jack even though I don’t want to but it wouldn’t be fair to him.
Try getting some rubbermaid tubs...you can fit them with sponge filters. Lay a thin skim of gravel or sand in and lay a submersible heater across. Add floating plants. It will buy you time until you can get a large tank. Cover the heater to protect the fish. Or if you have space get multiple smaller tanks. A 55 is fine for 2 parrots.

Big tanks aren't cheap for sure...I saved up for 7 months to get mine.

Are there Petsmart in your area? They sell up to 150 gallon with stands, but you have to pick it up at the store.

traywilly0611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2019
Try getting some rubbermaid tubs...you can fit them with sponge filters. Lay a thin skim of gravel or sand in and lay a submersible heater across. Add floating plants. It will buy you time until you can get a large tank. Cover the heater to protect the fish. Or if you have space get multiple smaller tanks. A 55 is fine for 2 parrots.

Big tanks aren't cheap for sure...I saved up for 7 months to get mine.
So I could get a 55g for 2 parrots and leave the JD & 2 parrots in the 75G. I think petsmart has a 150G for $800. They have 125g for $600 but I see it go on sale a lot.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So I could get a 55g for 2 parrots and leave the JD & 2 parrots in the 75G. I think petsmart has a 150G for $800. They have 125g for $600 but I see it go on sale a lot.
Long term I would get the 125 "package" for the 6ft length...that would give the best territorial space.

125 = JD and 2 parrots
55 = 2 parrots
OR
2 55's with 2 parrots each
the 75 for the JD alone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store