Will my Zebrina Pikes be ok?

Characin Man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Western North Dakota
I am purchasing a 120 gallon 48x24x24 aquariu. I want to stock it with a pair of Zebrina Pikes and an active toothy Predator as well. I have been looking at Red Tailed Barracudas, and am thinking about a small pack or just 1 Red-Tailed Barracuda. I want them all to be South American species in this aquarium but I can’t think of any active toothy Predators that will leave the Zebrinas alone. I need advise.
Thank you

Dw18908

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2019
Red tail barracudas are very skittish, I think probably not a good idea in a 4 foot tank with two pikes. Maybe a South American cichlid like a severum or a small group of geos could work. Your tank length is gonna restrict you when it comes to toothy species.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I think you’ll have to jump to at least a 180 for a pair of zebrina. That 120 will be tight. These guys get closer to 14”. Two inches may not seem that much of a difference but keep it mind we are talking a fish that is around 18% more mass with those two extra inches.

If you want a pike pair thatll do well long term, the multispinosa is a good candidate and a close relative of the zebrina. As are Acutirostris. If you want something larger, you’ll want the 180.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store