Will submerged plants get enough light if they're growing under floating plants?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thinking of starting a planted tank, just to grow plants to sell. Got the idea from the fact that my 5 gallon is now filled halfway with just subwassertang, which grew from a small clump in only a few months (with trimming but it grows faster than I trim)
I'm planning on dividing the tank into segments and filling each with rosette swords, riccia moss, subwassertang, anubias nana, pogostemon helleri, and maybe staurogyne repens.
I also planned on getting frogbit and greater duckweed, and I was wondering if these could grow over the other plants, and if enough light could even pass through these to grow the submerged ones. If not, then I can just leave one space empty and grow the floating plants over it.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Well lots to think about here. The tank you plan on use is very small at 5 gallons. You’re not going to have room to grow much to full size.
Plant choices are going to matter a lot here as well.
S. Repens and pogo heferi are both going to need medium to high lighting. With floating plants it’s going to be harder to give them the light they require.
Rosette swords stay small for sword plants but in a five gallon tank that’s still pretty large.
The anubias will grow in low light but it grows fairly slow.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
oh i just got the idea based on my 5 gallon, i plan on getting a 20 gallon or larger for the new plants, as well as a high-powered LED light for it.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
okay. It’s hard to hit a moving target. lol
As long as you’re upgrading if you really want to ramp it up look into co2 as well.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If you have a lot of patience, i’d try and grow some rare Bucephalandra and sell them... they do best in low - medium light setups...

With the right ferts and sp. of plant they can have some amazing colors and go for a fair amount...

Only downside is they are super slow growers, possibly even slower than anubias...

Reactions: fisheatfish

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Another question while im at it, how do anubias send off runners? Is that process even slower than growing the things? If so I'll just go with a different plant.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Another question while im at it, how do anubias send off runners? Is that process even slower than growing the things? If so I'll just go with a different plant.
Anubias grow from the main rhizomes they don’t really use runners.
They will Branch and spread but from the base.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Here are some pics of my anubias nana petite...very slow growers.
The rhizome can be cut to form smaller plants but the bigger, the more appealing.
052B1638-98BC-4D79-8DE3-BBE45C47A48C.jpeg

No runners with anubias but new buds grow off the rhizome as shown in the bottom left within the root structure.
17FD622E-AC00-4C04-B8E3-02E0CB8B284E.jpeg

New growth can come right off as these two did during a water change...dime for size reference.
A1C9CE6D-C5A0-44EA-B337-03F1AB065A27.jpeg

From a plant purchased with about 10 leaves, it took approximately one year to get to this size with optimum lighting, CO2 and regular fertilization along with some pruning.
E5FC1EAC-C800-496A-BC2D-074254D39CEE.jpeg

Reactions: Fat Homer

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Ah, then I'll reconsider the anubias nana... any other similar plants that aren't as common as something like amazon swords that grow fast without much care? my water's pretty hard and i have pretty high ph too, usually around 7.5
i also plan to have either platies or a single bristlenose in there to help with algae on the leaves, not sure how Co2 affects fish, but i didn't hear too many good things about it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store