Will this work?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Attaching the bottom base 2x4 to the up rights? Drill from the bottom up or pocket holes or something else
Tbh I don't know hopefully someone will chime in with experience. Although I've done a few projects with wood never built a pond but have thought about it.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Attaching the bottom base 2x4 to the up rights? Drill from the bottom up or pocket holes or something else
Any of those will work and be secure. I think it would come down to aesthetics and ease of assembly more than anything. The screws do add considerable strength but the glue will be doing most of the actual holding.

Pocket screws from the side of the vertical 2x4's then covering the screw holes up with plugs or putty looks like it would be the easiest as far as assembly. I would attach the 2x4's to the plywood first, get them all nice and tight then put the pocket screws in.

You could do pocket screws from the back of the 2x4's before you attach them to the plywood but this would have a tendency to leave some gaps between the 2x4's and the plywood. This would be strong and hidden though.

Drilling from the bottom and screw up into the vertical 2x4's would be a lot of work and leave a pretty big hole... so you can get your hex bit extension in to tighten the screws all the way.

Do you have a jointer and planer to square up the 2x stock before assembling? I do a fair amount of building with 2x stock and being able to start with boards of the same dimensions makes everything much easier if you have that capability.

P.S. I like the board and batten look too!

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store